• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Question

So I adjusted the cable and it worked...once. Now i have to figure out why it won't start, yes I've tried the neutral safety swith. I will let you know more after tonight.

Yeah, then I shifted it back into park. Then shifted it again and then it would not move. Went to adjust the cable again, and now it will not start anymore. So I am going through it to night to see what is up. Before any one says it, yes I'm checking the neutral safety switch.

Man, I'm stumped. I'm not a guru, by any means, but I'm out of ideas. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in.

If you can't shift into gear and you sometimes can't start, then it may be that the shift assembly inside the tranny is damaged. This could cause the lever that turns the NSS to get stuck, producing the random no-start.

Maybe get somebody to change gears while you watch the NSS to see if the pole moves.

Ok so it turned out to be a bad starter, luckly I kept the one off of the parts jeep. So I get it running again, adjust the shift cable again, and it works. Until I shift it around 3 or so times. Can that adjustment clamp wear out and let it slip? Looking like I will have to replace the shift cable.

Nope, it will for the first couple of shifts but then nothing. Then if I readjust the cable it works again for a few shifts. Thats why I'm leaning towards needing a new shift cable. Just wish a new one wasn't $60

I haven't really checked it out in-depth, but can you adjust the clamp that holds the shift cable or something?

Hum. Interesting. I didn't think the cable itself could stretch out that much. Maybe where the cable is connected has worked loose some.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, that it's just the area that secures the cable inplace after the adjustment. You can't replace just that end though, it's all part of the cable so you have to replace the whole thing.

Does anyone happen to know before I pull the pan if you can replace just the shift assembly in the trans? Or if there is an internal adjustment for it.

The shift linkage gets directly connected to a plunger that controls oil flow in the valve body. So there are no adjustments. I have rebuilt this tranny this past summer. Maybe the valve body has some clogged oil passages or plungers sticking. You could take the valve body apart, but you will need new gaskets and O-rings, and a good ATSG manual. You are probably better off finding another tranny.

Back