• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

August 16th Expressway Workparty

Expressway is open. The lower part of main line, also is open but main line is done for. If you know where the two stumps on main line are, you know the ones that cause so much body damage to all that do not have rock guards.
Well there is a section of trees right after that and well thats it . They came threw and log all the trees. All the trees are on the trail so it will be a while till somebody get a work party together to clean up. The mes left behind by the loggers is quite large. Here is some more pics. The first one is the stump garden right before the logged area.
walkerBill019.jpg

And another pic of the logged area with my Friend Bill owner of the white jeep .
walkerBill020.jpg

Duane

IXNAYXJ said:
I'll be in Montana on assignmant for CRAWL, sorry guys.

Make some progress, accomplish some goals and have fun. Good luck!

-----Matt-----

I'm there. What do you want pics of? ;)
I've seen a lot of XJs in and around Yellowstone.

Looks like I won't be back in town in time. Sorry, Out.

P.s. Duane; those trees are down on Lower Mainline. Not Upper- correct? So running up and down Upper Mainline shouldn't be a problem. Did you ever contact DNR - Elise to see what the story is?

edited - add p.s.

Last edited:
Duane,
I appologize. Apparantly I completely missed the Lower Main Line part of your post :gee:

I know exactly where you are talking about. That makes much more sense since I know they are logging in that area and not near Upper Main Line.

So looks like at the moment we will work on Expressway and probably run up Expressway and back down Upper Main Line on our way out. Maybe we can run the cut off in the middle also (it could do with some work I believe also).

Thanks guys for the support!
Anyone else coming?

Matt, have a great time.
Tracey, enjoy the rest of your trip and drive safely.

Michael

A few updates.

Lower Mainline IS finally being logged and will probably be out of commission for at least the next couple of weeks.

We will have a mini excavator and driver for Saturday morning. This will make a huge difference in the amount of work we will be able to accomplish!! We will also have posts and re-bar to help create the retaining walls that we need to create.

If we get as much work done as I hope then we will likely also be transporting some crushed rock from the bottom of the trail up to the rockface. I will bring black garbage bags, tarps and the appropriate shovels to help with this if we get to it.

Extra stuff to bring that was not mentioned before:

Post hole diggers

Michael

Mc2KXJ said:
Your Dodge.:wave:

I thought about it, but it doesn't have the front driveshaft in it. I don't think I'd make it up the hill without 4wd. If we need to use it, I can put it back in, but the CV is shot.

More importantly, I'm not sure I can get there without mangling the truck body, and that is not an option.

OD-XJ said:
Michael, how are you planning on getting rock up there?

Good Question.

My hope was to convince 1 or 2 people with XJ's with open rear cargo areas to carry it up in the back of their XJ's :spin1:
It would be great if we had a small trailer? Does anyone have one? Unfortunatly I don't have access to one when we need it. I also considered bringing up my garden tractor trailer, however I don't have a good way of attaching it to a Jeep.

I don't plan on moving too much rock, so I don't want to make too much of an issue with it, but if someone has a better idea or a trailer that would work best.

Michael

Ba-Riedo said:
Well I might be able to help...

I broke my rear hatch glass yesterday and I think for this weekend I might just ditch the whole rear hatch. :D

-Alex

You can just drive up the hill backwards to keep the rock from falling out ;)

Might work for better traction. With the front locked, when I back up a hill the rear would be locked, since weight transfers back going up a hill I would get better traction... :D

-Alex

To bad it's damage prone wheeling, or we could take my Chevy Avalanche back... (parents truck...so it can't get dinged or anything).

I have a friend who just picked up a Toyota Tacoma, it's stock with 4wd low...think that can make it? (street tires...) He wants to wheel it eventually (he doesnt have his lisence, so I'd have to drive it with him)

Ba-Riedo said:
Might work for better traction. With the front locked, when I back up a hill the rear would be locked, since weight transfers back going up a hill I would get better traction... :D

-Alex

Strait GENIUS!!!!!:rolleyes:

I'm 95% in on this. I'm bringing up a friend as well. Gotta get my winch working again....(Damn winch)

Michael, Count me in.

Keil

Back