• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone that hasn't adjusted their Throttle Valve cable do it. WOW.

Re: Anyone that hasn't adjusted there Throttle Valve cable do it. WOW.

When you press the release.. slide the black piece all the way in, let go on the release. Then with engine OFF, pull the throttle all the way open, and press it just a little bit more, and it should click at least once. Then, put your foot on the skinny pedal and press all the way down for the final adjustment. and Voila.

I did it 3 times and the adjustment is the same. So any other reasons why I can't get 2nd?

Did mine last night. Saw no difference. I'll try again by pressing the gas pedal as JW suggested.

did it when i was back in Charlotte and on the trip back too Boone i was able to pass people all i wanted going up steep climbs, couldn't do that before without a crap load of work of the peddle.

I did it 3 times and the adjustment is the same. So any other reasons why I can't get 2nd?
If you're in 1-2, the shift point is crazy high, like 4500rpm. If you're in Drive, not sure, maybe a trans issue.

All I can say is wow! This should be a sticky! My jeep would basicaly skip 2nd.......completely fixed the issue! Much nicer around town and on the freeway!

So I did mine, and it doesn't look like it was too far out of adjustment. Just a bit. But now I can totally feel the difference. Much jumpier on the throttle, just like when I bought it. Good deal.

When out to try this and oh to my surprise my little self adjuster is broken it wont hold its place anymore you can slide the conduit in and out without pressing the release button :yelclap: wonderful...

edit: i cleaned the mud out of it and now it works :)

Last edited:

Ridiculous...5 seconds of button-pushing = a drastically improved XJ. Thanks!

If only all Jeep problems could be fixed by pushing a button and sliding a little sleeve. Mine grabs second now with purpose! Can't wait to get it on the highway...

WOW!!! all the problems that have been discussed or solved are all the same as my situation, funny how something so small makes the difference. reminds myself that not every upgrade or fix has to cost more than 50 bux!

My '92 was "adjusted" accidentally. 2 clicks and it fixed

Wow!!! Just stumbled across this thread and did the mod/adjustment. And I now have 2nd gear when in "1-2" Thanks for the find!!! :cheers:

This thread came up when I searched for "cruise control."

It took about 10 seconds to adjust and it drives/shifts a lot better. For some reason, it feels a little more responsive too.

Oh... and my cruise control now works on my '91 XJ.. :D

E

Did my 98 and it actually unlocks the torque converter without having to shift down into second... Takes less throttle for all downshifts which makes it much more drivable.

anyone know where and what the part number is for a replacement cable. I went to adjust and the cable was split and rusted bad in the split.

anyone know where and what the part number is for a replacement cable. I went to adjust and the cable was split and rusted bad in the split.

Perfect time to provide your BASICS--year, engine.

Back