• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone that hasn't adjusted their Throttle Valve cable do it. WOW.

Re: Anyone that hasn't adjusted there Throttle Valve cable do it. WOW.

Stumbled on this just before leaving work and did the 10-second adjustment a little while ago. Ridiculous amount of adjustment needed- about an inch and a half. Like others have said, like driving a completely different vehicle. Before i had to drop the pedal about half way before i could move off, and trying to accelarate when already at 45 took forever (made freeway driving a bit of a challenge). Now its just so responsive and has a ton more power than i thought the old 4.0 had. 208191 on the clock and i though it was on its last legs- now i really do believe these things can last for ever.

Thanks for the heads up- this really cheered up my week.

Another thanks here. Mine was out over 1" too. Such a minor thing for such a major improvement!

Mine acts weird...

i do as the instructions say, it ratchets once then stops well short of where it should be. I get in the jeep and press on the gas and it only goes about half way. If I put a little bit of force I can hear/feel a pop and the it goes to the floor. Then, looking at the cable the adjuster is sticking pretty far out again. Im not sure if its just not ratcheting and just popping free into place, or its out of adjustment because it's not ratcheting.

It does that repeatedly no matter what I try so far. It's just weird to me when manually moving the trottle rocker I can feel it ratchet that first time then it sticks.

i did this the other day. Didn't really notice any better throttle response. The only difference it made is that the tranny shifts are very apparent now. Before it was relatively smooth, now you can really feel when the tranny shifts, almost like a thud. Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Mine acts weird...

i do as the instructions say, it ratchets once then stops well short of where it should be. I get in the jeep and press on the gas and it only goes about half way. If I put a little bit of force I can hear/feel a pop and the it goes to the floor. Then, looking at the cable the adjuster is sticking pretty far out again. Im not sure if its just not ratcheting and just popping free into place, or its out of adjustment because it's not ratcheting.

It does that repeatedly no matter what I try so far. It's just weird to me when manually moving the trottle rocker I can feel it ratchet that first time then it sticks.

Mine does almost the same thing although mine stayed at half throttle.
So I held tightly onto the cable and let it slide through my fingers while holding the button down until it was adjusted proper, then release the button.

Wel.. the 1-2 shift is computer controlled and does nto usually engage til something like 45-4800 rpm.

I don't believe that's true with the shifter in the 1-2 position. I think the upshift is determined by the internal hydraulic pressure, which would be affected by the throttle-tranny cable. A really badly adjusted cable can cause very poor shifting, even lack of shifting, and even cause the t/c to not lockup or clutch slipping.

The throttle-tranny cable controls the internal hydraulic pressure of the tranny, which affects the shift firmness. Normally you'd want a quicker firmer shift if your on the gas. If after adjusting you think it's shifting too hard, you might adjust it again and add a little more slack in there. I have also noted that you might need to get the floor mat out of the way when you do the "depress accelerator fully step".

That is a great reminder. I've been around so long, I forgot about this "trick". The other one is to adjust the TPS to 10% reading for you RENIX owners. There have been a ton of threads on this one too. Part of the transmission controls are determined by the TPS as well. When it is adjusted properly, it makes a noticable difference.

BTW: Some have advocated that step 4 be done in the vehicle with the trottle pedal instead of using the TB arm. The reasoning is that the range of movement may be differenet and you want to adjust to the pedal and not the throttle bodey mechanism limit.

Just done this on my 1999 4.0 with 70,000 miles. There was over an inch of adjustment on it. Mixed results. It's definately a lot more responsive pulling away from a stop but reaches full throttle very quickly. There's a far smaller range of travel on the throttle and it feels like I'm driving with my foot to the floor all the time just to accelerate.

Have I done something wrong?

Just done this on my 1999 4.0 with 70,000 miles. There was over an inch of adjustment on it. Mixed results. It's definately a lot more responsive pulling away from a stop but reaches full throttle very quickly. There's a far smaller range of travel on the throttle and it feels like I'm driving with my foot to the floor all the time just to accelerate.

Have I done something wrong?

Sounds like it did not adjust all the way and you are stopping short of full throttle, which is what mine did.
With the engine Off, have a freind press the gas peddle as far as it goes.
While you check the Throttle body to see if the throttle goes to wide open.

Sounds like it did not adjust all the way and you are stopping short of full throttle, which is what mine did.
With the engine Off, have a freind press the gas peddle as far as it goes.
While you check the Throttle body to see if the throttle goes to wide open.
Thanks, will try that.

Not only did the engine respond better. Ever since i got it the trans would shift in and out of overdrive constantly between 35 and 40 MPH that to is cured

I have always had an issue with it not kicking down into the lower gear but when i did this nothing happened

So I just did this with mixed results as well.

I did it on a 2001, and the plastic cable was pulled out over an inch. When I accelerated the first time, the cable adjusted a little bit more (outwards obviously) from where I had put it. I can accelerate faster too, but like one of the previous posters, I seem to have lost a little bit of variability in the speed. Also, for some reason, my transmission seems to shift harder now.

Hmmm, mine seems a little stuck.

How much adjustment range is available here? I.e. How far out shout the conduit be able to slide?

is the conduit supposed to slide back out at about half throttle? when i push mine in at about half throttle it pulls back out. i didnt hear any ratcheting but maybe the reason why it pulls back out at half throttle is cause its stuck? my xj gets stuck in od right at 44mph and i have to floor it to get it to downshift. it wasnt to anooying at first but its getting old commuting to school everyday.

I'm gonna have to try this later. I have an '00 with 4.56's and 33's that takes forever to drop out of OD on hill climbs, and then searches back and forth between OD while going up the hills. Lets see if this fixes it.

is the conduit supposed to slide back out at about half throttle? when i push mine in at about half throttle it pulls back out. i didnt hear any ratcheting but maybe the reason why it pulls back out at half throttle is cause its stuck? my xj gets stuck in od right at 44mph and i have to floor it to get it to downshift. it wasnt to anooying at first but its getting old commuting to school everyday.

anybody??

Latenights, looking at the design suggests that it does indeed need to pull back out, it seems that's where the slack is taken up in the cable and the difference in slack will determine how much or how less it pulls back out again. One thing I did notice when I did mine yesterday was that the release button was so dusty/dirty that it stuck in the "pushed in" position, and when going Wide Open Throttle it did not ratchet either. I pushed the conduit back in and pushed the release button back to the out position from below. Then when taking the throttle to WOT it did ratchet and adjust a little.

also make sure to press the gas pedal all the way down, the first time i tried the adjustment it only went about 3/4 of the way down. i didnt notice drastic improvements but my brother drove it and said throttle response feels way better.

Back