• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone that hasn't adjusted their Throttle Valve cable do it. WOW.

Re: Anyone that hasn't adjusted there Throttle Valve cable do it. WOW.

hmmm. neato! i like how it works on more than just the renix 4.0's! i'm iguana show all my friends. mine was way out, and has almost 300k on the clock. i though my motor was just f'n up, and had lost most of its power. this is the first automatic i've had in an xj or mj. no such option on my fullsize waggy with the amc360

Found another Picture for those that may not understand.

l_47764008077c415bb77a5087718d062f.gif

This is really quick and easy, took me 30 seconds. Will see tomorrow if the sluggish throttle is improved.

Thanks!

Excellent! Thanks for this.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Got it adjusted, but mine was already set in the right position.
Thanks for the info :thumbup:

I'm using mine as a sort of throttle limiter. Set it correctly as per the above instructions then went 2 clicks farther. The 2 clicks gives me about 90% throttle and gives the tranny even more zoomy juice as I'm 3.55 gears w/31"s on my 2001 XJ.

I did this either last year or 2 years ago as an issue to a problem I was having. It helps greatly (2000 XJ). I think that the haynes has it as a method for troubleshooting a problem.

I did this either last year or 2 years ago as an issue to a problem I was having. It helps greatly (2000 XJ). I think that the haynes has it as a method for troubleshooting a problem.

I check mine every time I do major servicing and have never had the problems I see here on this post. Funny but this was mentioned many times in the past although not reciently.

It is good that you guys who thought the get-up-and-go had got-up-and-left discovered that there is still some life remaining in the old 4.0.

Good write up.

it worked for me, now the jeep finally wants to drop to third on my commute every day and i don't have to manually drop it down, thanks!

Worked great on my 2000. It shifts much smoother, especially downshifting. Will add this step to routine maintenance.

Thanks...

Agreed, definitely will be added to my routine maintenance. Wasn't out by much but makes a big difference.

Uh, didn't work on mine. Adjusted OK, but throttle was real stiff till I floored it, felt a click and the throttle was back to normal. So was the cable, back to where it was prior to the adjustment. I had no complaints prior, so I'll just leave it alone.

Uh, didn't work on mine. Adjusted OK, but throttle was real stiff till I floored it, felt a click and the throttle was back to normal. So was the cable, back to where it was prior to the adjustment. I had no complaints prior, so I'll just leave it alone.
That means yours was adjusted properly..

Well good! Had the Jeep since '02 and never looked at this. The cable went back to it's prior position BTW...non-issue for me I guess.

Man!!!!!! Where have you been all my XJ's life???!!! Did this today - was more than a half inch out. Trans shifts MUCH smoother now. Alot more driveable. Upshifts and downshifts through the gears MUCH better. No more slight clunk when it downshifts while slowing down. No more "shift kit" feel when upshifting. Now Smooth Over Anything :05of5:

That what i was told months ago, so I tryed revving it out a few times and still no shift. Now it shifts into second just like it normally would.

Some may not have as good of results as I did as mine was about a half inch out of adjustment.

Did this adjustment on wifes 89 and like driving a different Jeep. my 94 didn't have this adjustment on the cable

I'm so going out to try this... I shift manually into third because mine just doesnt do it... and I have to work the throttle to get it to perform properly

That means yours was adjusted properly..

jeremy i told you this little mod helps! i did it on my 97 and you laughed at me! ha. 500 miles later and my tranny went out :( sooo i guess you got the last laugh!

Back