• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone that hasn't adjusted their Throttle Valve cable do it. WOW.

Re: Anyone that hasn't adjusted there Throttle Valve cable do it. WOW.

dude! this was nice!!! i just did it, and it took all the slack out of my pedal and made everything smoother. it was out of adjustment by probably3/8 inch.

definatly a helpful post

Did this seem to fix your problem about shifting into OD too early? I have 4.56 and 32's and it shifts into OD way too early also...New TPS, etc., I think this may be what I need

as you rotate the throttle do ya hold the release at all??? cuz my conduit stay in the housing w/full rotation! ya have any slack in the cable past the connector?

Just tried it on my 99...apparently my ratcheting mechanism is broken. Either way, adjusted it just a hair and noticed a bit of a change off the line.

Latenights, looking at the design suggests that it does indeed need to pull back out, it seems that's where the slack is taken up in the cable and the difference in slack will determine how much or how less it pulls back out again. One thing I did notice when I did mine yesterday was that the release button was so dusty/dirty that it stuck in the "pushed in" position, and when going Wide Open Throttle it did not ratchet either. I pushed the conduit back in and pushed the release button back to the out position from below. Then when taking the throttle to WOT it did ratchet and adjust a little.

ok thanks!

So I posted on here months ago about my Transmission acting weird. In 1-2 selection it would stay in first and not shift to 2nd. In 3 selection it would shift into 4th gear instead of stopping at 3rd. In OD it would shift into OD at like 35 and would have to almost floor it to get it out of OD.

Anyways I never got any clear answers on why it would do that. I did some searching and came across a posting on adjusting the TV Cable(Throttle Valve). So today opened the hood took 2 seconds and it was done. Drove it around the block and WOW night and day. 1-2 works 3 works and it doesn't stay in OD. Push on the pedal just a little and it smoothly shifts down.

So anyone that hasn't checked/adjusted the cable or anyone that is having weird tranny problems Adjust that cable first.

How to from Alldata:

1. Shift transmission into Park, shut engine off and raise hood.

l_212e9a7c94354546b75bf28aac139153.gif

2. Press cable release button.

l_0d370ca4a04c48888b834510cc3529a2.gif

3.Push cable conduit back into cable sheath as far as possible.
4.Rotate lever on throttle body to wide open throttle position. Cable will ratchet to correct adjustment point as lever is rotated.
Super easy and worth checking. Sorry if this is in the wrong area.

I did this to a buddy's XJ today and it made a HUGE difference in drive-ability. :thumbup:

Is this just delayed shifting when driving, or gas pedal feel?
My truck seems to work fine, I am going to have to pay attention to this now.

will have to check mine. have had the "no power" goin up hills ikn the past, but not recently... yet.
have any of you noticed any change in gas milage since doin this? just thought i'd ask.

Is this just delayed shifting when driving, or gas pedal feel?
My truck seems to work fine, I am going to have to pay attention to this now.

This cable controls the internal hydraulic pressure within the transmission and hence the shift firmness, whereas the trans computer controls what rpm to shift at. If this cable is out of adjustment, the shifting can be a little slow and soft. Being way out of adjustment can result in a very slow shift or even no shift at all.

Can anyone who has done this tell me how / if it has affected your cruise control? Mainly looking to see how or if it would affect my 2000, but ballpark answers for other years would be helpful as well.

if these are anything like the 200R4 from the buicks and chevys you have to be careful. This adjustment is a good way to get a base adjustment but we always adjust then by transmission fluid pressure. If this adjustment it to loose or too tight either way it can cause premature failure.

I tried adjusting mine, mechanism is broekn, and couldnt figure out where to put it back. Finally got it as close as I could get back to where it was. I now have a harder shift. I talked to my transmission rebuilder, he says leave it be.

With everything shifting harder after doing this, is it safe for the tranny? I was going to take a look at it since I do have issues with shifting out of OD when running up hills. I just don't want to do something that will cause me to have to then drop a grand into it early without needing to.

I suspect shifting harder would be better than shifting softer (less slipping of the clutches) but then again, I'm not talking from experience here.

Is it possible to adjust it improperly? Or will it automatically readjust itself to where it needs to go? If I get out there and try it and I adjust it too far one way will it stick or release back to where it needs to be? Guess I am just a little "comfoozed". Probably just need to go out and look at it and it'll make sense...

When I attempted to do this on my 95XJ, The ratcheting stopped about 3/4 of the way through the motion to reset the cable. Then with harder accel pedal pushing, it just snapped into place. I suppose I should hit it with some lube.

When I did this, it went to the same spot it was before I adjusted it. When you adjust it (after you have pressed the button and pushed it back in). Let off the button, then move your throttle to wide open, and push it jsut a little more and it should ratchet out and click. Mine only pulled out one notch, but not everyones will be the same.

Is the adjustment the space between the end of the conduit and the little tab on the cable?? I just Held my release button, pushed the conduit back into its home, went to wide open throttle,then heard the ratchet click, and the conduit stayed in its home untill I hit the release button again and now there is a space between the end of the conduit and the little stationary tab on the cable, like ther was before. The black tab is on the cable and not the throttle body connector.

IS THIS RIGHT????

Thank you so much! I have the same issues!!!!!!! I thought it was the normal way the auto tranny shifted.

So should the tip of the conduit be touching the cable plunger after adjustment because I have a spacer between them??

Thank you so much! I have the same issues!!!!!!! I thought it was the normal way the auto tranny shifted.
Hmmm. I still can't get it to shift into 2 and It is still downshifting weird when in 3rd.
??? I am really anal about little things though so it's probably fine?

Back