• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AAT Big Bear 4x4 Snow Run Jan. 8

Radiator is in! Valve cover bolts tightened. Packin, filling the oil and checking the gas soon. See you all at 8:30. Do i need to pickup some kind of day-use pass or anything?

No Adventure Pass needed for tomorrow.

U weenie.... I think you're just having flashbacks of the last snow run in Big Bear.... Demolition Derby 2008
I'm laughing and coughing as I'm typing this. Believe me, I was SO looking forward to getting my Bronco out......it hasn't seen dirt (or snow) in over 10 years! I'm hoping to get out next weekend, though. Do you think Lytle Creek will be open? I heard the road was only open to residents(?)--------Hans

Sorry to say I won't be there tomorrow. I was trying to convince the wife but she's unwilling to go without a better idea of the trails that are being run and a decent time estimate for when it would finish.

Maybe next time.

~R

Just got back from Chicago LATE last night and just saw this. Sorry couldnt make it! Piles of mail and some massive stuff to do

I'm laughing and coughing as I'm typing this. Believe me, I was SO looking forward to getting my Bronco out......it hasn't seen dirt (or snow) in over 10 years! I'm hoping to get out next weekend, though. Do you think Lytle Creek will be open? I heard the road was only open to residents(?)--------Hans

Lytle Creek is a disaster.... I took a peek up there past the Road Closed "suggestion" signs and its really a mess. High clearance 4x4 no problem, but it will take a miracle for the 2wd minivans to get to the snowline (5500ft today). It's amazing what water can do, looks like mother nature just bulldozed a 100 yard wide path all the way down the hill!

I bet its closed for quite some time.

Just got home. The weather was really nice up in Big Bear. There were about 25 vehicles that showed up for the run.

karstic (Stephan and Sonia)
WebDog (Max)
01erionracing (Jimmy)
surf2snow (Kevin and friends)
Airsmitty (Jackson and dad Preston)
Me

Sorry if I got anyone's name wrong.

We started out caravaning up Moonridge Road. But Greg said that once he got off the pavement, he was only able to make it about 10 feet into the deep show. So we all turned around and headed towards 2N02.

After 2N02 intersects with 3N03, it became obvious that this "snow run" wasn't going to involve much snow. So Max, Kevin, and I broke off from the main group while they headed towards Rattlesnake Canyon and the Lucerne Valley.

We felt badly about leaving the group, but we really wanted to go play in the snow.

Our plan was to check out the backside of Gold Mountain and maybe see how far up we could make it. Turned out that was only about 100 feet. We failed, but we had fun doing so.

bb0111001.jpg

We continued on down the first turnoff for John Bull, but had to turn around when the snow got really deep. We continued on to the second turnoff. While the snow was still really deep, we took turns plowing through and eventually made it to the John Bull rock garden. Sometimes it was difficult to see where the trail was.

bb0111007.jpg

The usually formidable John Bull boulders looked like giant marshmallows.

bb0111010.jpg

Max offered me $100 if I could make it to the top of the rock garden. I didn't get very far. Max said he wanted to make it by whatever means necessary. So he winched himself up a ways, but then had to give up.

bb0111011.jpg

We made our way back to 3N16 in some deep snow and this one puddle that was deeper than it looked.

bb0111005.jpg

Thats alot of snow! Wasn't even half that the last time I went... Looks like fun!

Yeah looks like when we did coxey last weekend. is fun stuff and yeah some of those puddles are way deeper then they look

Sweet! First Tracks!

Yeah I was a little dissapointed that we cut out of the snow that quick.

We had 29 vehicles at the lunch stop, everything from an old Willys to a TDi Defender 110.

Rattlesnake got really washed out and made for a fun run.

We also ran 2N70Y. Pics to follow soon.

Wow, 29? So that means we started out with 32. I think the last straw was when we sat there waiting for a diaper change. :rattle: :D

At least you guys had lunch. I had the hot dogs, but we had no way of cooking them. Would've put them on the manifold, if only we had some aluminum foil.

Wow, 29? So that means we started out with 32. I think the last straw was when we sat there waiting for a diaper change. :rattle: :D

At least you guys had lunch. I had the hot dogs, but we had no way of cooking them. Would've put them on the manifold, if only we had some aluminum foil.

What? You never ate cold hot dogs?

Just got back! It was great to finally get out there and meet some NAXJA folk. I ended up tailing a red Non-NAXJA XJ but I was able to meet a few of ya. Jimmy (01erionracing) made the meanest rock sliders (1/4"!) I've ever seen on his durango and was able to squeeze his way through rattlesnake canyon. It was a slow, mild run but it was fun because it was my first outting like this. The grand total was 33 rigs were there of every skill and build level.
AAT14.jpg

AAT18.jpg

Not much snow on the way down the canyon, but this part was fun. It was the most formidable part of the trail.

AAT23.jpg

That big Land Rover 110's been through the rubicon. 7k pounds+2.5L diesel. Crikey.
AAT22.jpg

A good turnout
AAT36.jpg

The creek bed had some rocks that were pretty fun.

It dumped out in lucerne valley about 15 miles from the Hammers. Everyone aired up and took off! A good event. Wish I had more pictures of everyone! next time!

Haha I just ate lunch / dinner when I got home. Barely made it I was so hungry.

So much fun, tomorrow will post photos / videos.

I hope the rest of the group had a blast, this was the first time I pulled out of a run like that but like Johnny said we wanted to play in the snow!

Yeah, but it was something you said Max that made me want to pull out. You noted that it costs money to go up to Big Bear, mostly in gas. So we should be having fun.

I was so hungry, I took off on you once we hit the freeway. And Stephan, the last time I ate a cold hot dog, I must've been 10 years old.

Oh yeah Max, my cell phone was on my bed. Right where I left it.:doh:

I just got home from the LAX. Nice to meet all of NAXJA members today. We have fun today. I have to say without the rockslider my Durango woundn't be able to get out of the Rattlesnake canyon in 1 piece. Here are some pictures that we got on out camera.
PO20110108_0025.jpg

PO20110108_0024.jpg

PO20110108_0023.jpg

PO20110108_0028.jpg

PO20110108_0026.jpg

PO20110108_0030.jpg

PO20110108_0031.jpg

PO20110108_0054.jpg

This is lunch time
PO20110108_0094.jpg

PO20110108_0086.jpg

PO20110108_0079.jpg

PO20110108_0107.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, but it was something you said Max that made me want to pull out. You noted that it costs money to go up to Big Bear, mostly in gas. So we should be having fun.

I was so hungry, I took off on you once we hit the freeway. And Stephan, the last time I ate a cold hot dog, I must've been 10 years old.

Oh yeah Max, my cell phone was on my bed. Right where I left it.:doh:

Haha, I didn't get to et until i got home at 9... Friends said there was a bbq but failed to tell me it was past irvine, and i was tired.

My front driveshaft is lose on the transfer case side, I think my output bearing is toast.

could barely go faster than 65mph.. grr

Back