• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

big bear

xjrick94

NAXJA Forum User
Is anyone familiar enough with the trails in big bear to help me map out a loop? I am staying at a cabin this weekend out in Boulder bay and have a route that I'd like to do starting at the discovery center but need help to try to get it to end on the West side of Big bear lake by the 18 so that I can take the hwy to the cabin from there.

I'm mainly interested in sticking to the fireroads since I'll be in a 4x4 f150 on 32's with a rear locker and a stock jk on 33's. Me xj will unfortunately sit this trip out. Here is what I have so far.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/34.....246636,-116.9549716,15.79z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0

Also if anyone would like to join i'm planning on doing this loop on Saturday. I just don't have a time set yet.

Unfortunately my xj is making a noise when in 4x4 and i'm thinking that it's going to be a ujoint on the driver side front axle but i won't have time to replace it before the trip.

Based on your Avatar, you look to be good for Gold Mountain. Always a good run. Might wanna try Holcolmb Creek (one of my favorites). Once you're on the Northside up top, it's pretty nice and there are several forest roads that wind around. Both of the trails I mention lead into the other (long day though if you make frequent stops to check stuff out). There are several websites with printable topo maps, etc if you just google the trail names. There's some books too that are well put together. I like the one by Mr. Wells. I've never been in the winter. Be careful!

A couple sleeping bags can be handy too.

Based on your Avatar, you look to be good for Gold Mountain. Always a good run. Might wanna try Holcolmb Creek (one of my favorites). Once you're on the Northside up top, it's pretty nice and there are several forest roads that wind around. Both of the trails I mention lead into the other (long day though if you make frequent stops to check stuff out). There are several websites with printable topo maps, etc if you just google the trail names. There's some books too that are well put together. I like the one by Mr. Wells. I've never been in the winter. Be careful!

I actually did gold mountain in that xj two weeks ago but unfortunately it will be sitting this trip out. I'm taking my f150.

I see from Palm Springs BB got hit good with snow.Good luck and have fun. Don't forget to bring a couple other vehicles with a winch and straps.

Not me. I'd have just spent the night on the trail. I was over on 2N49 the following night enjoying the weather.

There was way too much snow and i didn't end up doing any wheeling. I tried entering polique canyon from the 38 and something must have happened. The trail was closed and a firetruck and police suv were there blocking the entrance. I turned around and went to visit a friend and did some offroading in the alley behind his cabin lmao. It had about 3 ft of fresh snow and i plowed through about 5 ft, reversed then hit it again and went another 10 ft then got stuck lol. I can't imagine how bad the trails must have been.

We also had to winch his jeep out of the driveway since we were too lazy to shovel the driveway.

Back