• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96- to 97+ Console Swap Write Up

RenixPower said:
But I think a consensus from Dan (CommandoXJ96) and everyone else who has done it would be to use the 97+ ebrake.

I found that using your own cable and some cable clamps is the best way to connect the E-brake to the old style cables. Just make sure to use the piece that grabs them both (right and left drum cables) from a 97 or newer XJ also.

The light grey console this swap thread was originally based on has now migrated into my XJ from RenixPowers. I was able to get the ebrake in and everything (had to do some floorpan drilling for the 3rd bolt if i remember correctly). I also installed a home made switch panel by using some project boxes from radio shack and a Dremel tool. That took care of the gap in front of the console between it and the Dash board. Don't mind the bolt you see by the driverside seat belt - the console felt a little loose to me and with people throwing backpacks and their body weight across the console i wanted to make sure NOTHING could unseat my new console... A couple backing plates and bolts won't let that happen.

PICT3237.jpg

bmyohn said:
i like the sunflower seed e-brake...nice mod!!!
Thanks I liked it too, now the iPod goes there.

I was hoping to just run a new piece of cable from my 96 "equalizer" up to the post-96 ebrake mechanism.

I was just going to use a loop of cable around the piece that connects to the post-96 ebrake....is this a safe/doable method?

RenixPower said:
Thanks I liked it too, now the iPod goes there.

I did one more console mod - put a 12volt outlet inside it and keep the ipod and FM transmitter in there :)

bacelaw said:
I was hoping to just run a new piece of cable from my 96 "equalizer" up to the post-96 ebrake mechanism.

I was just going to use a loop of cable around the piece that connects to the post-96 ebrake....is this a safe/doable method?

Also, I'm not sure if the e-brake fix you're thinking about would be great. A cable clamp or something run inside the equalizer might be easier/stronger.

i agree that a clamp on the equalizer woudl work - im talking about the other end of the cable that connects to the actual ebrake handle.

the post-96 handle cable has a sort of molded end that fits inside the handle mechanism...i was thinking about trying to just loop a cable around this piece...

CommandoXJ96 said:
that might work safely/reliably. i guess it just depends on how good a connecton/clamp you have holding your loop in place. otherwise i wouldnt see a problem with it.

thanks for the vote of confidence - i really cant go another day without cupholders!

sbxj said:
CollinM, nice seats....
RearViewofConsoleResized.jpg
are those the originals?

x2.....they dont look like XJ seats....and i've been looking for a decent method of getting leather seats in atleast the front of my XJ.

99XJSPORT06 said:
x2.....they dont look like XJ seats....and i've been looking for a decent method of getting leather seats in atleast the front of my XJ.
They are my original XJ seats with covers on them from www.nwautoleather.com . I love the covers and they've held up well but for the front and back set shipped it was like $804.xx which now that I look back on it was a lot. Keep in mind they are real leather though and even like Katskinz are more than that I think. I know I got quotes for up to $2000 to have them made locally.

RenixPower said:
They are my original XJ seats with covers on them from www.nwautoleather.com . I love the covers and they've held up well but for the front and back set shipped it was like $804.xx which now that I look back on it was a lot. Keep in mind they are real leather though and even like Katskinz are more than that I think. I know I got quotes for up to $2000 to have them made locally.

Yikes!!! :scared:

Anybody have any ideas for switching the pedal ebrake assembly in my 88 MJ to the pull-handle type in the XJ? I know I can cut a hole in my floor to drop the cables through, but the pull cable off of the brake handle is shorter than the one from my pedal assembly, so it won't reach the junction to the rear cables. I'm trying to figure out if this is doable and will also pass PA state inspection because my MJ pedal brake is missing the release cable and handle and I'm haveing trouble locating a new one. So far I've ordered two from different places that "could get them." One cancelle my order, and the other I haven't heard from. Any help would be great. I've got a 97+ console that I wouldn't mind swaping in at the same time....but I'll stick with the other if it'll make the ebrake work.

if the MJ e-brake is setup the way I think it is; you might be able to use a 97-01 Front e-brake cable (goes from equalizer to hand brake) as a replacement for the MJ front-ebrake cable. I could also be entirely wrong but it may be what you are looking for.

I've got an extra MJ pedal assy. if you still need it. I am converting to the "pull handle" style like the XJ uses, since I seem to be stepping on the brake pedal at the wrong times( You know, on the interstate, at about 65-70 MPH, while passing someone...).

Good Job guys on the mods.
Doesn't look too difficult & the wider/taller berth & storage possibilities may make it worth the effort. I've got a Tan/Biege 85 with the stick that I beleive & will take the jump on. How much did you guys get set back for the consoles & comps? Looks like there may be several good options for the duct, front, rear connection, EB issues.
Jobs well done,
Dave

This thread is pretty old and they may not be around anymore. So if you don't get a response, don't be offended :)

docarch1 said:
Good Job guys on the mods.
Doesn't look too difficult & the wider/taller berth & storage possibilities may make it worth the effort. I've got a Tan/Biege 85 with the stick that I beleive & will take the jump on. How much did you guys get set back for the consoles & comps? Looks like there may be several good options for the duct, front, rear connection, EB issues.
Jobs well done,
Dave
I never sold my old console but you can sometimes pull around $40 or so. That front area opens up some possibilities especially if you don't replace the rear air duct. Good luck with your swap.

Israel said:
This thread is pretty old and they may not be around anymore. So if you don't get a response, don't be offended :)
Well I dunno about the rest, but me and Dan are on here everyday.

I really really like the idea of doing this. I bought a '93 today, but the interior is pretty beat up. Plus its tan. I hate tan. Swapping to the '97+ would be real clean though.

Anyone added the overhead consoles to the older XJ's?

digging up an old thread:

Will the old style t-case, and tranny shifter work. I pulled a 97 console, but didn't pull those pieces out. Any problems with using my 95 pieces?

Also, how do you get the handle of the tranny shifter off? Just seems molded on, what's the trick?

1994sport said:
Also, how do you get the handle of the tranny shifter off? Just seems molded on, what's the trick?
Get in the backseat, set the e-brake, place shifter in 1-2, and pull as hard as you can, watch your teeth!

Back