• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96- to 97+ Console Swap Write Up

Has anyone experiemented with transplanting a CJ or Wrangler ebrake assembly into a 96- XJ? I have fully modified my console and eliminated the ebrake, cupholders, and air ducting to hold a switchbox, scanner, radio charger, and arrowstick controller.

Problem, state inspection is coming up and I need an ebrake. The only place left to put one looks to be the floor. Seems I remember my old CJ having a ebrake pedal.

Will it work?

I have a BRAND NEW, never installed Comanche (MJ) brake pedal assembly. You would have to do something special for the cables though. PM me if interested.

John

AgentXJ203 said:
Has anyone experiemented with transplanting a CJ or Wrangler ebrake assembly into a 96- XJ? I have fully modified my console and eliminated the ebrake, cupholders, and air ducting to hold a switchbox, scanner, radio charger, and arrowstick controller.

Problem, state inspection is coming up and I need an ebrake. The only place left to put one looks to be the floor. Seems I remember my old CJ having a ebrake pedal.

Will it work?

heck... if we all installed pedal ebrakes, and just pulled the handle out, we could install bigger cupholders in the stock consoles new space.... i kinda like the idea of the hand brake too much though so ill probably wuss out on installin a pedal brake with the 97 console.

Yeah, I like pedal brakes a lot. I hate the idea of a hand pulled brake, it seems unnatural. A Commanche pedal would be awesome, seeing as how I now have a computer CPU sitting where the brake used to be. Avanteone, PM sent.

More vehicles have been torn to shreads by storm chasers than by any other cause second to vehicle accidents. Let me tell you, it's an expensive hobby.

I too would like complete pics of the setup as I would love to rid myself of the ebrake. Why do my buddies think its fun to pull? I tell then its old and not meant to be pulled

i know a few guys will use the hand e-brakes as a primitive traction device for the rear at really low brake pressures in really slippery conditions, or to help them show off and try to skid. (cant say ive used it for anything but parking though)

maybe thats harder to do with a step brake... i guess you have to lock it fully to unengage it when ur done using it, unlike a hand brake then?

Last edited:
I don't think the rear vents are made to work with the A/C on. If anything comes out it might just be a vavle not shutting. Cause I know in my XJ the center vent under the controls only works with vent or A/C mode. It would make sense that the cold are would out at the higher vents cause cold air settles downs.

On the e-brake cup holder subject... I got rid of mine. I found a kit on ebay that lets you up a 93+ one in and older console. All its actual is just the cup holder and directions and a stencil on where to cut the holes. 2 cuts to the black piece and then 1 cut to the actual console. Got it off ebay but you could just get one from a junkyard and mark the notches to cut.

Last edited:
redyouch said:
I HAVE DONE THE EBRAKE

you DONT need to cut/weld/ghettorig anything. take the 97+ ebrake and bracket and it will BOLT INTO THE 96- location. all you need to do is slightly bend it about a half inch and put an extra screw through the body. it is cake. there is nothing to it.
I can verify this...I still haven't done the process yet because I can't seem to get the handle out of a new style XJ but I looked at the bolt holes and 2 out of 3 of them are in the exact same location. The third hole would just have to be drilled in the tunnel, but to me it looks optional. FYI for you ambitious enough to go to a junkyard and grab the assembly out without spending half a day and using your entire vocab of cuss words.
-Collin

Ok, so the past few weeks I have had the console (yes - THE console :) BigBlackHeeps old one) in the Jeep. I have also had the E-brake handle installed and have an aluminum sheet switch panel installed over "the gap" that holds my light switches. I have the new linkage piece that holds onto the two e-brake cables underneath the vehicle - but I am missing the short cable (i assume thats what it is) that runs from this threaded piece (the part you can adjust) up to the e-brake cable. Is this small piece of cable something I can pick up at checker/autozone or would I have to go to the dealership? I'm not sure what to call this piece - its a cable but its not the E-brake cable obviously. Its not a piece that was used in the old 96- setup so I'm not sure where to get one/ how long a piece of cable it is - so if anybody could tell me how long one would be or where i could find something to do the job that would be great. The cable should be under a foot long...

Oh - and I'll post some pics of the competed project soon up here - E-brake and all. The only good thing about this setup without a connected brake handle is going 80 on the highway and pulling that with passengers in the car :) I gave my 2 best friends a heart attack today that way.

Collin, will this swap also work on a '94? I definately want the bigger cup holders and CD storage. Thanks

Jeff

Did you actually get the ebrake in the original holes? did you have to bend the ebrake as suggested?

a new picture of the new console would be helpful!!

i used a new e-brake - the holes were close but did not align. no bending was required - just a few pieces of angle iron with holes and a couple extra bolts to mount into the old holes. I also had to drill for the 3rd hole to work - and the e-brakes hole was an inch or so above the floorpan for some reason; so I used a few washers to make it all flush (bending just the one piece would also work).

The swap WILL work on a 94. He swapped an 89 i believe and my 96 worked just the same. Ill put some pics up soon...

Anybody know about the brake cable?

I used all th e-brake cables out of the '97 parts rig that I got the console and e-brake handle from, works great. None of my holes lined up in my '90 XJ. I got it close and ran a couple of self tapping screws in and it works great.

J

yeah - i've got everything except the small cable that connects the adjusting piece to the handle itself. Maybe someone could measure how long it is for me and I might be able to find something at the pullit yard? Checker had no clue what piece i was talking about....

Yup, this is an oldie, but goodie....did anyone figure out a quick and easy way to convert the pre-97 ebrake handle and more importantly CABLE to the post-97 ebrake?

thanks

bacelaw said:
Yup, this is an oldie, but goodie....did anyone figure out a quick and easy way to convert the pre-97 ebrake handle and more importantly CABLE to the post-97 ebrake?

thanks
I've given up on the ebrake deal, I just ditched mine and didn't look back. But I think a consensus from Dan (CommandoXJ96) and everyone else who has done it would be to use the 97+ ebrake. Thanks for bringing my old thread back btw.

Back