• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 switch ignition lock removal (write up)

We just used this thread to fix a 1984 four banger XJ!!!!

Thanks!!!

So has anyone gone deeper into these to tackle the rack assy that works between the ignition lock assy and ignition switch? Mine, 87 is going bad there.

Well, I need some help. It was not the electric ignition switch or the ignition lock-key assy, it is some sort of rack assy in between the two parts. Real stiff and feels like it is about to finally seize. Has no one been into that area of the steering column before?

I need some help on what to expect.

Well, I need some help. It was not the electric ignition switch or the ignition lock-key assy, it is some sort of rack assy in between the two parts. Real stiff and feels like it is about to finally seize. Has no one been into that area of the steering column before?

I need some help on what to expect.

I just used this to tear mind down and it was very helpful. My key was stuck in the lock and to get it out I had to even remove the ignition switch on the column. It was sticking and not working right so I tore it on down to just the shaft. There is a detent ball and shaft that will dry up and freeze the ratchet assembly. I just put new grease in it and seem to be moving for freely. I highly recommend the lock plate tool over the screwdriver to get the clip off. TY sir for the great photos and write up!!!!!

The lock plate tool makes it so much easier, a must IMHO.

Back