• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 switch ignition lock removal (write up)

No, the ignition switch is on the outside of the column down under the dash. Just take off the lower dash panel and lay upside down under there. There is a rod that goes from the key cylinder down to the switch to operate it. Two screws hold the switch on the column. Not as bad as it sounds at all.

You should lower the column by removing the bolts that attach it to the dash. But you don't have to take anything apart in the column. Unless you need to change the key lock cylinder.

Ok found the switch was real easy to get too thanks... Had to go to the JY and cut out a new connector though the switch and connector were melted together. Guess that explains my problem with starting when it is already HOT!!!. Truck even seems to have more power can that be explained by the ignition switch also. If so then How. Responds so much better to the throttle

my god this is a great write up... now I just need to find the parts to repair my turn signal lever.

I know its been said before, but this needs to be stickied if it isnt already, or atleast put in the write-ups section.

Printed out the main post and bought my tools, The '89 is a hair different but mainly in the area of screws etc.

Had to do two jeeps, both '89, finished the first one in 15 minutes because i lost two screws and had to find them and i didnt know what i was doing, the second one i did in half that time.

I look forward to finding more write-ups like this and will probably try to find make some myself.

GREAT JOB

Having done this three or more times (lost count) . . .

When installing the ignition switch at the base of the column, the instructions require you to hold the long rod and switch in place while tightening the tiny hex screws - which indexes the switch to work properly, or it won't. Be careful here.

Some key cylinders for GM columns are all wrong, as noted. There's about a dozen. Look it up for a Cherokee, don't let the parts guy blow you off with "Oh, they're all the same." It's a guarantee he doesn't know squat.

The automatic column is hooked up by cable to the shifter, which can lose it's own indexing and lock it in gear, leaving you stranded. If this happens, disconnect the cable on the right of the shifter, under the console, and see if this frees up the shifter. About all you lose is the lock ring rod not engaging the steering wheel, it still won't start in gear as the NSS handles that.

Great photos, wish this was out five years ago. Chilton and Haynes don't do it as well.

when reinstalling the ignition switch, must you put any stress on the rod actuator to line up the screw holes, or should it rotate freely?

i inserted rod into switch slider, but the switch needs to rotate 45-60 degrees for it to line up properly with the steering column screw holes and then the rod actuator is strained.

any ideas or experience?

Where was the clip?

wish i seen this write up yesterday, i would have got mine changed faster, but figured it out anyways.
mine was a little different on my 1988 there was a clip i had to push inside the colum instead of removing a 5/16 screw.
and then the parts house sold me a tumbler key set that was different then what i had, the new one will not lock in place pulls right out the lock is backwards on the new one and i checked all the other ones the parts house had and they where all backwards...but made it work anyways
*great write up on the key change* great pictures too.

Anyone know how to get a seized lock mechanism out, that should slide right out after following all the procedures here, but refuses to budge? I have the screw(s) out, all disassembled, but the lock assy will nut budge. Busted the ears & cover assy off trying to grab and pull it out with big pliers.

Anyone know how to get a seized lock mechanism out, that should slide right out after following all the procedures here, but refuses to budge? I have the screw(s) out, all disassembled, but the lock assy will nut budge. Busted the ears & cover assy off trying to grab and pull it out with big pliers.

You didn't say what year,:shhh: but if I had to guess, there is a key broken off in the switch, or the cylinder is partially turned. Either way, the buzzer actuator is probably engaged (a little green/blue plastic tab on the rear/side of the lock. The are a bear to get out. Pull the Buzzer contact and wave spring out of the column and you should be able to see it and force it up with a probe while pulling on the ignition cylinder. If there is a key in it, try to get it out first. the tip of the key depresses the actuator, or if no key and the cylinder is turned, (out of the normal locked position), there is no recess available for the tab to retract into, since they are not lined up with each other.

85 cherokee pioneer, manual tranny, no tranny inter lock. It is the one with my transplanted Nissan diesel engine. I have the 2 buzzer parts out, they ar eon the front side on mine. Key goes in and out but no longer engages. I am going to try some pen lube in it next.

i lost both my keys about two weeks ago and finally got the energy to pull it apart today. this write-up is great. only question i have is, once i have this done and steering lock disengaged, do i just turn the ignition switch to start it without a key? sounds like a dumb question, i know.

also, once i'm in the steering column, is it hard to install a push-button start/ignition?

yup

if you find a pinout for the ignition switch under the dash, you shouldn't need the steering column wiring at all.

i planned on doing this to my trail rig

had to do this as we lost our keys to the jeep, excellent write up!

Just had one question, everything went smooth throughout the whole thing, but when I put it back together I noticed that once I get out of the dead spot in the wheel where the tires actually start to turn, its harder to turn the wheel, but once it gets past that spot its normal, just has a hard spot. I'm assuming this is something I did, but what could it be?

I'm stuck with a cylinder that won't come out of the column. Everything is pulled apart and there isn't anything, including the little plastic lock mechanism that I can see holding it in. I don't have the key for the thing because it was a column from a salvage vehicle.

Any one have any ideas? I've read everything I can and I just about chucked the column across the garage before calming down and getting online.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Back