• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 Waggy spark plug engine problem pictures!!

My '96 has a barely audible misfire, not when cold, and not when hot and been running a while, but usually during the warm-up. My #2 plug, after a while, will get white and fuzzy, although nowhere near as bad as yours. I use Champ Coppers in it, changing every 30k miles, and during that time, I'll pull it once or twice and clean it. The other five are barely even dirty. Also, every second or third oil change, I'll throw a can of BG44K into the fuel tank, and it makes the misfire go away for a while. I bought the car with 104k, just turned 180k, and it actually runs better than it did seven years ago.

I once put Autolite platinums from Walmart in my '92, and it ran great. At the next 30k tune-up, I pulled them out, and they looked so good, I put 'em back in for another 30k. Next tune-up, they still looked great, but with 60k on them, I figured it was time to go. Now it's got Champ Coppers in it, but it still runs great, at 205k. My son once put Bosch plugs in his '95, and it ran like crap. I told him to try Champs, that's what most recommend on NAXJA, and, of course, he doubted me. But a day or two of sputtering, he figured he'd try the Champions. Cleared it right up! I've never seen that in forty years or wrenchin' on cars.

Then there's our '04 Outback. I had the head gaskets done at 90k, one was pissing coolant, the other weeping oil. They all succumb to it, and it's probably the only thing that goes wrong with them. Anyway, I had Autolite Platinums in it, and at 90k it was due for plugs. Tapping like crazy, and when I pulled them out, the center electrodes were GONE, and the ground electrodes were about half-gone. Tried new Bosch plugs, tapping like crazy again. Looked up OEM, and it had come with NGK plugs. Got those, and it continued to tap, although not as bad. Went on the NGK website, looked up plugs one heat range cooler, and the car hasn't tapped since.

Maybe try the two offending plugs in a hotter heat range. I've read that the hotter the plug, the less likely it may foul. Although, the black one seems to be disappearing!

Spark Plugs
Sorry, we don't have any products in this category (Spark Plugs) that fit your vehicle, but you can use the left-hand navigation to select a different product type.

This is what the Champion site said about my 1996 Country.

Picture #5 here:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

Looks like my #2 plug (labeled #1 below by mistake). I was thinking coolant leak (head gasket), silicate on the electrode, but reading this and a similar one has me thinking that #2 got hot from running lean (bad injector signal connector-contacts) is an alternative diagnosis so far?

And GREAT info on the white junk I found on mine and Bosch platinum plugs here:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=103166&highlight=spark+plug+heat+range

I was looking at the picture of one of your plugs that was white and looked like it had a blue tint and was thinking coolant. I'm not exactly sure of how it happens, but a head gasket leak shorts the spark, especially when the motor is cold, you get wet plug deposits eventually.

This is interesting

http://tinyurl.com/csmtwbn

I was looking at the picture of one of your plugs that was white and looked like it had a blue tint and was thinking coolant. I'm not exactly sure of how it happens, but a head gasket leak shorts the spark, especially when the motor is cold, you get wet plug deposits eventually.

This is interesting

http://tinyurl.com/csmtwbn

Yes, that link suggests the white deposits are burned carbon, from oil leaks. That cylinder use to look like #1, oil fouled, but not as bad as #1 IIRC.

The plug I am using is slightly hotter than the NAXJA popular Champion plug near as I can tell from yesterdays searches. But I am on the low end of allowed OEM Spec compression (115-125 min IIRC) so the slightly hotter plug is probably a good idea. That link page suggests changing the valve seals. IIRC that can be done with out pulling the head? But I have never done the valve seals myself. Is is easy and what is involved?

FWIW, I have no coolant loss issues and no overheating issues on this one, no liquid cross over contamination anywhere. No accumulating gasses in the closed coolant Renix system, to confirm it might be coolant.

Last edited:
No pix for me. Win7 IE8.

No pix for me. Win7 IE8.

Can you see the picture in post #27?

If not, NAXJA has a serious photo display problem as that photo is not even on the naxja server!!!

Back