• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 Waggy spark plug engine problem pictures!!

I couldn't see my pics until I logged in, and still don't see yours using Goggle Chrome (if that's a type of browser?)

I'll try Firefox, I think the wife has it on here.

Bummer I tried Internet Explorer and Firefox and still nothing.

Guess I'll have to get my 12 year old daughter to sort it out:helpme::cheers:

I couldn't see my pics until I logged in, and still don't see yours using Goggle Chrome (if that's a type of browser?)

I'll try Firefox, I think the wife has it on here.

You still can not see them after logging in, not even the ones in post #19?

I can't see them.I have tried everything and i am logged in.Grandkids are coming by later today and i'll have them show me how to view them.

Plug #2

87WagXJsparkPlug-2d.jpg

87WagXJsparkPlug-2d.jpg

87WagXJsparkPlug-2d.jpg

87WagXJsparkPlug-2d.jpg

Plug #1

87WagXJsparkPlug-1.jpg

87WagXJsparkPlug-1a.jpg

Last edited:
OK, can you all see these photos from another site?

#1 using oil and #2 vacuum leak?

No, Both were using oil for years (7 years), but took 30,000 miles to get nasty. Last time was only 10,000 miles to look like plug #2. This time was about 2500 miles for these photos. I am using about 2.5 quarts of 20W50 in 2500 miles on the last run.

Plugs 3-6 looked new after 50,000 miles. I replaced all the plugs anyway, just 2500 miles back when I had the miss-dying at idle issue about 10 weeks ago. Plugs 3-6 still look new.

MPG on last tank of gas, city, was as high as it has ever been, 15.6 average city.

Last edited:
My understanding is that platinum plugs take more voltage to fire. They're designed for long plug change intervals.
2.5 quarts in 2500 miles is alot of oil. Restore?

My understanding is that platinum plugs take more voltage to fire. They're designed for long plug change intervals.
2.5 quarts in 2500 miles is alot of oil. Restore?

"2.5 quarts in 2500 miles is alot of oil."

Not from what I hear and have seen.

And yes, I have plans to give it some "Restore" for sure!!!

Last edited:
Dodge used to recommend rings if the oil consumption was more than a quart every 500 miles. Seeing as how you seem to be using most, if not all, of the oil through one or two cylinders, it does seem like a lot.

Get a good flashlight and look in the spark plug holes, a video scope is even better if you have access to one. You may have a notched piston or worse a broken ring and some serious scratches on the piston walls.

To bad I don't live anywhere near you, I have two motors you can have.

The one plug looks like a head gasket, the other like oil. Maybe the oil fouled one is a combination of coolant and oil.

Fire up the motor cold and hold a white paper towel near the exhaust until the motor heats up and see what it spits out the exhaust.

Make sure your oil pressure scavenger tube is clear, the tube and both the outlet and the inlet.

People forget about molybdenum, the good stuff is expensive, but it will sure slow down oil ring bypass. Hard to find the good stuff anymore, Liquid Moly used to be good but the actual Moly ingredient in their stuff is negligible anymore.

"Make sure your oil pressure scavenger tube is clear, the tube and both the outlet and the inlet."

Not sure what you are talking about?

I have great oil pressure (better than when I bought and a little better than when I replaced the oil pump with a high flow 7 years ago......

Have you looked at the product from the UK called Restore? In a silver can.

I am pretty sure the oil going into #1 and #2 the last 7 years was the valve stem seals leaking. It has gone from using one quart in 3000 miles to using 1 quart in 1000 miles (ODO says 278,000 miles now, but I am not the original owner).

The oil I was using this last run was the new API crappy spec SN, not the good stuff I had been using (Havoline API SL). I topped it off with Motorcycle, high ZDDP oil this week. I will start checking the plugs every tank of gas or so for awhile.

My daughter's Saturn (SL1, 2001) uses about 1 quart in 500 to 1000 miles (say about 750 avg), and has ever since she bought it 2 years ago. Now, about 50000 miles added in 2 years, now at about 225,000 miles total, and it has passed OBD-II gestapo EPA emissions tests twice, and got 31 MPG on the last tank of gas. FWIW, her's runs at 212-220 so the oil does get thinner in that engine.

I added Restore today. One can. I also added two Bars Leaks, dry brown colored pellets to the coolant to reseal any tiny head gasket leak if that is what I have.

I checked the fuel injector wiring with my new :sunshine:Noid light, they are getting the fire signal :)

I posted the two pictures backwards, #1 is the black oily plug, #2 is the white one.

#1 was oily but OK, and #1 looked about like it did when I reinstalled it last week. I cleaned them both better this time, and took it for a drive. For now it runs as good as it ever did. Will check the 2 spark plugs again this weekend.

I like your attitude of just keeping these old motors running their best and not jumping right into pulling the head at the first sign of a stuck lifter or the like.

There's been many times when I thought my mill was surely going to die, but standard troubleshooting and timely oil changes have let me squeeze 430,000 miles out of it and now it's running better than ever.:repair:

Back