• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 question

Outstanding i cant wait to do this swap, my last question is, will my rims mount right up too it, i know stupid question but its a must to ask.

Seems easy enough, whats a good place to get u-bolts?
Go to your nearest spring rebuilder or truck shop and ask for em, you'll need specs - or tell them what they're for. Simply saying you're installing a chrysler 8.25" axle in a jeep cherokee should be enough info I think - axle tube diameter is 3" if they need that. Just in case though, grab one of the U-bolts from the donor vehicle, bring them that so they can measure any other dimensions they need. This is the cheapest option probably, for example I went in on a Saturday morning and 15 minutes later I walked out the door with a set of custom-bent 9/16" diameter grade-8 bolts for my 8.8 swap... for $42.

You can also order 4x part number 52004010 (U-bolts) and 8x 6502697 (nuts) from any MOPAR reseller or chrysler/jeep/dodge dealer - I generally use stores.zmjeeps.com for OEM bolts, or mopardiscountparts.com if zmjeeps doesn't have it.

A third option is to use quadratec - c8.25 bolts: http://www.quadratec.com/products/56009_20X_PG.htm (make sure you select chrysler 8.25 or you'll end up with brand new bolts to put your d35 back in!)

EDIT: yes, your rims will bolt right up.

Or better yet,just go to your local spring shop and have them made,and bigger(cant go wrong with 9/16")

Go to your nearest spring rebuilder or truck shop and ask for em, you'll need specs - or tell them what they're for. Simply saying you're installing a chrysler 8.25" axle in a jeep cherokee should be enough info I think - axle tube diameter is 3" if they need that. Just in case though, grab one of the U-bolts from the donor vehicle, bring them that so they can measure any other dimensions they need. This is the cheapest option probably, for example I went in on a Saturday morning and 15 minutes later I walked out the door with a set of custom-bent 9/16" diameter grade-8 bolts for my 8.8 swap... for $42.

You can also order 4x part number 52004010 (U-bolts) and 8x 6502697 (nuts) from any MOPAR reseller or chrysler/jeep/dodge dealer - I generally use stores.zmjeeps.com for OEM bolts, or mopardiscountparts.com if zmjeeps doesn't have it.

A third option is to use quadratec - c8.25 bolts: http://www.quadratec.com/products/56009_20X_PG.htm (make sure you select chrysler 8.25 or you'll end up with brand new bolts to put your d35 back in!)

EDIT: yes, your rims will bolt right up.

Or better yet,just go to your local spring shop and have them made,and bigger(cant go wrong with 9/16")
I sometimes wonder if you even read what you're replying to...

when we swapped in my 8.25 we just cut the e brake lines off of the 8.25 because one side was cut off anyway. i have a automatic though, so when am i ever going to use the e brake?

a functioning e-brake would be useful if your brake system failed(ripped line from 4wheeling maybe) and your in an emergency situation.

have you ever used the e-brake to control traction?

do you need to pass safety inspection in your state?

is it an e(mergency)-brake or a parking brake?

not using the e-brake, even with an auto trans, puts stress on driveshaft ujoints.

Picking this axle up on monday afternoon at Auburn Offroading and car repair. i already posted how i can make sure if i have ABS or not and what i can do to disable it so this swap will be easier. Thanks for the help. I Hope to be up and running very soon and hitting the trails with you guys.

So i am doing the swap, i have came to the conclusion i am just going to cut my e break cables off they wont fit any way i mount them so they are useless, i am going to keep my dana 35's e break cable so once i get some free time i will see if can use those with the axle.

the late model e brake cables are different lengths- dr and pass sides. the d 35s e brake cables will mount up to the 8.25 in exactly the same manner. one thing to consider is that if you go to disk brakes on the 8.25, then you would end up needing new ebrake cables to fit the disk brake e brake lever (or modify the ones you have).

Good to know, i will just save my Dana 35 cables and when i get around to it i will install them on my 8.25 until then i will just have no e break on the 8.25.

Back