• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 question

1990cherokeee

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
So i decided not too do a 8.8 swap instead for the same price i found a 29 spline 8.25 with 3.54 gear out of a 2000 XJ. What would i need to do if anything do this swap? i am sorry if this has been answered i have not seen any answers. So any help would be helpful. Thank you very much in advance.

To swap in an 8.25 instead of a d35 or 27sp 8.25?

All you should need is U-bolts - you could reuse your old 8.25 bolts if you wanted but I wouldn't personally, they yield slightly when properly torqued. I'm pretty sure all the other hardware is direct swap. If you are at stock height you will want the driveshaft from the donor vehicle (assuming it has the same tranny type as yours) because the 8.25 has a pinion length approx 1" over the d35. Other than that, buy new hardware for anything you think you might break, but it should all swap over pretty easily.

Correct. If you're lifted more than a couple inches you might even benefit from keeping the d35 driveshaft, depending on your uptravel. Measure at full compression and at full droop and see which one will work out better for you. I am pretty sure that the same brake line is used on both the d35 and the 8.25, on the 8.25 it's held under the vent tube fitting while on the d35 it's held down using a separate bolt or something. EDIT: not sure about parking brake lines, forgot those, glad jeeperjohn said something.

When I got the 29sl 8.25 to replace the D35 in my 89, one of the E brake cables was too short to make it too the wheel. Could be the lift causing it. Take it for what it's worth.

Parakeet

When I got the 29sl 8.25 to replace the D35 in my 89, one of the E brake cables was too short to make it too the wheel. Could be the lift causing it. Take it for what it's worth.

Parakeet
If you find that your e-brake cables are short you can remove the brackets from the underside of the tranny tunnel and move them back about 4". That's what I did with mine and it has worked out really well.

they are too short because the 97+ e-brake cables are mounted completely differently. you can reuse your e-brake cables that are hooked up to your D35. but when i did my swap i just removed the e-brake cables because my original ones were seized anyway.

On the 97+ you can relocate the box the cables come together in, a few inches to the rear as well. Just use some self drilling screws to bolt it on in the new location.

what year xj? if you have ABS with your d35, then you lose the ABS braking if going with a 2000 xj 8.25.

I have a 90, auto. I am not too worried about loosing my ABS.

As for my e brake i am not too worried as it is a auto. so is there a good kit out there for the 8.25 like the MORE 8.8 kit? I do plan on using my DL since i am lifed 4.5 but soon i will be doing a 6.5 which at that point i wil put a SYE on and if need be get a new drive shaft. Thanks again, any how to's for this swap that i can read before i do this so i feel a lil more comfortable about it?

Chock the front wheels.
Jack up the rear of the XJ.
Unbolt the ubolts and driveshaft from the axle.
Reinstall by reversing the directions.
:)

I use my e-brake whenever I park on a slope. Even with the auto, less strain on the transmission to hold the vehicle in place.

when we swapped in my 8.25 we just cut the e brake lines off of the 8.25 because one side was cut off anyway. i have a automatic though, so when am i ever going to use the e brake?
Now your just being stupid,most clubs require a fully functional E-brake.

when we swapped in my 8.25 we just cut the e brake lines off of the 8.25 because one side was cut off anyway. i have a automatic though, so when am i ever going to use the e brake?
I use mine to pass inspection, and when doing stuff involving the front wheels or the driveshafts (ever pull a rear shaft and get run over by your own Jeep? I haven't, and don't want to!)

Chock the front wheels.
Jack up the rear of the XJ.
Unbolt the ubolts and driveshaft from the axle.
Reinstall by reversing the directions.
:)

I use my e-brake whenever I park on a slope. Even with the auto, less strain on the transmission to hold the vehicle in place.
Great point on chocking the front wheels... let me tell you a little story about how I learned to chock my front tires when changing a tire on the rear axle with an open diff...

(luckily it did it as soon as I tried to remove the first lugnut, so it just moved about 2" forward in the parking space and scared the crap out of me)

Thanks again, any how to's for this swap that i can read before i do this so i feel a lil more comfortable about it?

its very straight forward. all you need are new u-bolts and the 8.25 spring plates for the u-bolts. or you can elongate the holes on the D35 spring plate to make the u-bolts fit. its like darky said, support vehicle, remove u-bolts, driveshaft, shocks, brakeline, and replace.

Forgot to mention, the gears are 3:54, i do believe my stock gears are 3:55 am i going to run into a problem till i can get the funds to upgrade my gears front and rear?

Back