• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5100's from TJ on XJ

KelticTJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

I just put a RE 4.5" on my XJ. After installing the shocks (5100's) I realized they sent me shocks for a TJ with a 4.5". Dumb move for not checking the part # before I installed. I'm worried about them potentially bottoming out when wheeling given XJ 's may be a bit heavier but I'm not sure how much. Thanks a lot.

Lots of things interchange between Jeep vehicles. Check the Part numbers, measure full stuff and droop. Pretty sure TJ's are heavier with the full frame and all though.

Chances are that you'll be fine with the front shocks but you mayy find that the rear may ride a little harsher than what you're used to.

Leaf springs are subject to internal friction between the leaves whereas coil springs are not. It's one of the reasons leaf sprung vehicles tend to have a harsher ride. As a result, shocks are valved differently between a leaf spring application and a coil spring application: softer valving for leaf springs, firmer for coils.

Back