• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.5" RE lift questions

As far as an SYE kit, performanceoffroadcenter.com had the best full kit at about 195 with shipping. We wanted full so as not to even deal with a hack n' tap. With the right tools, it was fairly easy to install in the driveway. So far, it was worth every penny. As far as new driveshafts, we're looking for a local shop where they make em custom... buuuut we're also going up about 7.5". Hope this helps.

Consider spending a few extra dollars on the SYE and get one with the larger 32 spline output shaft. Since you're doing an upgrade already, might as well get the stronger shaft.......down the road you could be happy that you did. We've seen busted t-case output shafts, especially in places like Moab, and it's not a pretty break. There is no trail fix for a busted output shaft, you have to go get another t-case. SYE's are offered with both the stock output shaft or the 32 spline output shaft.

Drivelines are standard fair double carden joint at the t-case end. They are all basically the same, so shop price, either a deal on a combination SYE and driveline or have one made at a local driveline shop. Usually it's cheaper if you get a kit that includes both the SYE and driveline.

rooneypower said:
wut kind of driveshaft (i know you have already answered this question but is there a number that i look for when im at Tom Woods? Length? Size?, etc?)

After the lift is installed, you'll take a length measurement (Tom Wood will explain how on the phone), then they'll custom make a double cardan driveshaft for you. Since you're going to get a SYE, might as well just get it all from Tom at the same time.

How hard are you going to wheel it? I know a lot of guys on here will say go with the full SYE replacement but they are wheeling it hard and rock climbing. If you wheel it like me.... which is two-track trails, tank trails dunes, corn fields and light mud you can get away with a hack n tap no problem. I have had mine for 5 years and no problems whatsoever. I also got my driveline from porc, they have them pre-fabbed depending on lift height.

Everyone is suggesting a SYE and we dont even know what transfer case you have?

I've been running a 95.00 Hack & Tap (definetly not easy...) and its doing just fine. I knew a guy who ran 39's on it and it worked just fine. As for driveshaft, yeah you need to install your lift first (no matter what they tell you). Then measure from the center of your pinion yoke to the center of your new sye yoke.

If I had it to do over again I would support my local driveshaft shop. That way if you have any complaints you dont have to deal w/ Tom Woods or deal w/ shipping something around the country.

But if you must order one also check out High Angle Driveline I've heard they make nice shafts.... Also a typical shaft from TW or others is probably going to be around $280.00... I bet you local shop to come close to matching that w/ all Spicer parts....

Back