• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.3L Vortec V8 Conversion

Very cool. Just starting to aquire all the pieces myself. Have you thought about changing the cam, to one with more torque or keep it stock? Will the stock axles handle the extra hp from the ls1?

I believe there is one of those serendipitous revelations on the Novak Website, but they are really proud of that revelation, and would like a lot of compensation for it. I hope you find a different, cheaper one.

Are you planning on adding any bracing to the hood to take place of the bracing you cut? I know 1bolt had made a hood like yours and it ended up cracking the body filler he used to smooth out the edges due to lack of bracing.

The hood is gonna look great, just like your fenders. I am glad you put the build thread on here Frank. I saw you were doing this on colorado 4x4, but wasn't of your progress so far. Nice work!

What are you doing for an air intake? While you have the hood in surgery you may want to consider creating a hole or vent of some sort for cold air... that is if you type of wheeling allows it.

Frank,
Could you get the belt/acc set up off an LS1 and bolt it up to your 5.3 block? It would relocated the alt and other items so that you could run everything low profile and not cut into the hood?

Yes, but that would also require replacing the waterpump as well.

So a different water pump plus the acc. brackets and thats it?
Hmmm.... sounds like it may be worth it for me since I dont want to cut into my hood...

That's not to bad. I'm going to research this more...

Well it's been a long time since I've been able to do anything on this project, but I sold my Stroker this weekend and am going to get started again right after Christmas.

I've been trading PM's with JohnD regarding his 5.3L swap and he pointed me toward a set of Hooker Headers that just might work. I'll be borrowing a set today from a friend and trial fitting them to see if they clear the Novak motor mounts. The Hooker ceramic coated headers are about $200 less than the Novak ceramic headers.

I'll post up my findings later today.

Back