• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5" Lift w/ 31" Tires?

Dad gum! You guys really came thru. The images are great!!! Nice looking rigs. I'm no longer concerned about that combination.

My only concern now is whether or not lifting it another 1.5" is going to affect MPG or driveline lifespan. The kit that I'll most likely go with comes with a transfer case drop kit, so I'm not too concerned about that.
Since not all Xjs are created equal, as far a mpg could vary. I went from 3" coils to 4.5" coils and mileage is the same. Driving conditions will make MPG.

Mine's a 2000. My research has led me to believe that I'm okay up to 4.5", especially if i have a TC drop kit. With a 1" drop kit, it basically has the same angle as a 3"-3.5" lift.

Not trying to rob the thread, but... What problems will I face with a RE 4.5 Lift and Manual trans with the provided 1" TC drop? Will the it affect shifting?

I usually offroad back home in Virginia, I am going to law school in Greensboro. WHere are you from? My Jeep looks a good bit different now!

529417_356397767732982_150790324960395_981693_1215166481_n.jpg

527143_299475263459304_100001904988787_722576_1318715280_n.jpg

DSCN0109.jpg

DSCN0056.jpg

043.jpg

DSC_0428-1.jpg

DSC_0174-1.jpg

CharlestonSCMaggieAndreasfam398.jpg

Brianglawson,
Nice, What fender flares are you using?

Mine are Rusty's flex flares, I like BW's but being east coast, im scared to death of all the trees..lol They have proven themselves for sure!

i couldn't do it, i guess i'm just used to seeing my wife's jeep now so lifted xj's with small tires look funny to me

91 on 6"ish lift with 36x12.50 tsl's

214sia0.jpg

m9bxqx.jpg

Your mileage shouldn't change from just the lift. I got 18-20 mpg before I put my lift on. It stayed the same after the lift, but dropped to 14-16 when I put 31x10.5s on.

This was on a 00 with auto trans and 3.55s.

I was hoping the same thing as you wrt the t-case drop. Your probably going to get drive line vibration from the front drive shaft. Just be prepared to buy a Sye and drive shaft before you throw the lift on.

I used a h&t and a junkyard front shaft and it works great

I had 31's with a 4.5" lift and they looked too small imo. Im currently running 33's and the gearing kinda sucks, but it holds overdrive just fine over hills and such. Just gets bad mileage. Go off-road and lock in low range and it works great.

"I usually offroad back home in Virginia, I am going to law school in Greensboro. WHere are you from? My Jeep looks a good bit different now!" - BrianGLawson.

Yea, Looks a BIT different. I live in Wilkes - Foothills close to Boone. I'm really trying to build a good looking adventure/fishing rig. I really like to take coastal fishing and camping trips (NC/SC). I thought the XJ would make a great vehicle to pack all my fishing and camping crap in and head out. I am trying to build it with MPG's in mind, for the long trips. A friend of mine has a '99 xj, auto wih 3.5 Rancho lift on 31's, he also gets about 16 MPG. It looks great, I think my 4.5 on 31's may not look as good as 32's but it probably will drastically affect the MPG's

I had 3" lift and 31" tires and it looked great, trimmed a bit but rubbed a little on flex. Raised to 4.5" and the 31" are alright but look a little on the small side, Looking for some 32's. 3.55 and auto.

4.5 and 31" tires looks great IMHO, plenty of flex room, and so long as you use a long arm or a short arm with control arm drop brackets(ive had both, and the short arms with Control arm drops rides the best) you will have a great riding offroad rig that will be comfortable for those 8 hour drives to the coast

Great! Thanks for the advice. What control arm drop brackets have you ran? The better question would be what was your personal favorite setup?

Last edited:
Back