• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5" Lift w/ 31" Tires?

sixty7ss

NAXJA Forum User
This is a long story, but I'll do my best to paraphrase. I had a lifted XJ that some broad that wasn't watching where she was going smacked into. The insurance company totaled it and, in true insurance company fashion, gave me a pittance to use to replace my beloved XJ. I kept my wheels and tires, because they were virtually brand new and they offered me $250 for the set.

Anyhow, I now have another XJ, but it's bone stock. As soon as my tax return gets here, I'll be lifting it and doing a few more things to it. My other Jeep had a 3" lift w/ the 31" tires and it looked great. I'd kinda like to move up to a 4.5", for several reasons. The main one being price. I can get one for a REALLY good deal right now. The concern I have is: What will my 31" tires look like on a taller Jeep? Will they look too small? Do I need to move up to 32's or 33's?

looks like this
scan1121.jpg

Also keep in mind going bigger tires you'll eventually need to regear as mpg and power will suffer. This is one of those things where you gotta look at what kind of wheeling you'll be doing and what is and isn't necessary.

i personaly think 4.5 with 31's look great. looks quite agressive with some space over the wheels. i have 3 inch on 31's... wish i had 4.5...

i have 31's on 3.55 ratio... not too bad could deffinately be better around town

There are some pics of mine around here somewhere with 31's and 3", I now have 4.5coils in front and I think it looks fine. I don't smack my fenders with the tires anymore (= . I think it looks decent.
Driving with stock gears + 31's = fail. Some say its do-able, but your mileage takes a hit and hills are worse.

I have 4.5" coils and 33s on this one. Think Im going to sell it, though Ive been a long time member, I dont typically post alot, just lurk lol 31s would be a little small IMO but cheap is cheap.

378026_10150474137282495_507867494_10159655_365212349_n.jpg

316744_10150481100642495_507867494_10183611_156459212_n.jpg

Wow... Thanks for all the advice and all the images. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna stick with the 31's. I really liked my 3" on 31's, so I hope to go that route again. I just hope I can find as good of a deal on a 3". I really don't want to give up mileage. I fixed an issue with the wiring to my coil pack and I went from ~14 mpg to ~19 mpg. I'm really enjoying that. :)

Thanks again to all who posted.

i personaly think 4.5 with 31's look great. looks quite agressive with some space over the wheels. i have 3 inch on 31's... wish i had 4.5...

i have 31's on 3.55 ratio... not too bad could deffinately be better around town

dylan,
You said you were running a 355 gear, is that with an automatic trans?

4.5 on 31's doesn't look bad, I ran that set for a little over a year and then moved up to a 32's and thats the biggest tire I would run without regearing but... I also have quite a few bolt-ons on the 4.0
The 4.5 leaves room for growth so it's probabley the better purchase in this case, generally after a few years people want to go with a bigger lift and tires anyway.
here's an older pic of my rig (sorry about the quad being in the way) but you get the idea!
2eedfg0.jpg

Last edited:
yep.. no complaints except with the gas mileage. does ok on highway and im mostly in low range on trails anyway

Thanks for your reply. I have a 99 xj 4.0 5 speed. I have purchased a RE 4.5 Lift (not installed yet) I have regeared the difs from 307 to 355's from a donor xj. I was trying to decide whether to go with 31's or 32's I dont want to trim the finder flares just yet.

98, back when i had 4.5 rustys full spring lift and 31's and 16 inch wheels....
WilliamsburgMPCapeHatteras2009533.jpg

SaturdayWheeling014.jpg

SaturdayWheeling009.jpg

CapeHatterasFall08064.jpg

Dad gum! You guys really came thru. The images are great!!! Nice looking rigs. I'm no longer concerned about that combination.

My only concern now is whether or not lifting it another 1.5" is going to affect MPG or driveline lifespan. The kit that I'll most likely go with comes with a transfer case drop kit, so I'm not too concerned about that.

I ran 6" with 30s and still got complements. I thought it looked ridiculous, but others liked it. :D I got 18 mpgs with stock gears.

What year is your XJ? I forget if you mentioned in the OP. If it's 97+, a 4.5" lift will probably need an SYE and CV shaft. There are those who've done it with just the drop kit, but generally, the newer XJs are less forgiving of lift height.

Back