• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.2 stroker is it really worth it? Need help!

Search around mod tech and street and performance for the term stroker. There is a TON of info out there already and numerous members already running strokers. Also look on jeepstrokers.com. Or something like that.

Lets just be different here.
Unless you get real luckly like Dirtweazle. True drop in 258 cranks are a thing of the past. Most will need some work to get them to fit. All I6 blocks are getting old and if your putting out for a rework crank it would be a sad thing to put in in a block with sloppy pistons. In the end there is no such thing as a cheap stroker any more.
Were as a sweet running 5.7 can still be had for a good price. Make fare more top end.
True it would take more work by you including more home work. But take a ride in any 5300 lb Cheve SUV (any full size GM SUV will do) with a 5.7. Then think what it would be like to have that same engine in your 3400 LB XJ. :)

Last edited:
I'm building a 4.9l with 505's 4.060" stroke offset-ground crank and +.060"(3.935" bore) Ross forged pistons. If you look at the Jake site, they use a 4.060" stroke crank and a 4" bore(+.125") to get 5.0l. If attempting to bore over .060", you should have a machine shop sonic test the cylinder walls to see if there is enough material to bore.

I built one of the very first strokers here in Colorado. I get 21 mpg on the highway with 35's. I now have over 100k on the motor. To me the H802CP pistons with the block decked .025 with the thin MOPAR head gasket is the recipe. Cam selection is critical for the best results. I run regular gas and have a 10.4:1 CR and no ping.

The hassle is that rebuild parts have gotten pretty pricey in the last few years. I figured the parts would run me $1100 and then add in the machine shop fees. I am getting ready to build another couple of strokers to sell/trade but I figure I need close to $2800 to make it worth while. Don't know if anybody in this economy can afford them. Gone are the days when you could rebuild an engine for a grand. :cry:

Back