• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33" Dedicated Snow Tire?

The place I work at is a authorized Cooper Tire dealer. They put out our Discoverer S/T in a 33x12.50R15. Its ment for plowing, I sell them to people all day long they are awesome. You can stud theM too!!

He is after a 33" Vince. I was too lazy to do all of the conversions, but the standard metric sizes did not jump out at me.

Yeah, 285s are 33x11x16 roughly.

I live in Ottawa and we get a lot of ice and cold weather. Personally, I always use all terrain tires on my truck. However, if my wife was driving my XJ in the winter I would make sure it had a set of true snow tires on it.

One aspect that many people have totally missed is the fact that a regular all season tire was not designed to be used in very cold temperatures. Some tires handle it better than others. My last SUV was a 2004 Nissan Xterra (super charged). It came with BFG Rugged Trails on it. If it was -15 Celsius or below I could coast along in second gear at about 25mph and spin the tires on clean dry pavement just by stepping on the gas, never touching the clutch. This tire did very poorly in cold temperatures.

My brother in law is a mechanic and he sold me a set of Hankook iPikes for my wife's civic last year. They are awsome tires and they make them in 265/75/16 (about a 32") or you can get 33"+ if you up the rim size even more (BLING!). They are studable. I have used a few different brands of snow tires over the years and these are amazing. Inexpensive too.

Last winter I had brand new 265/65/17 Bridgestone Revos on my Xterra. Depending on the conditions, I could not keep up with my wife in her civic, while I was in 4x4. We leave the house at the same time in the morning and she would pull away from each stop sign faster than I could. As for braking and stopping....no contest. Studs are not legal in Ontario, but I imagine they make quite a difference.

Here are the specs:

http://www.hankooktire.ca/uploadfile/product/wt_w409.pdf

Good luck!

Back