• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33" Dedicated Snow Tire?

Firestone Winterforce tires are where it's at. I think I am the only one so far to suggest a winter dedicated snow tire, which is what you are asking for. A m/t on ice is terrible. Deep snow they work great, but with ice you want lots of siping and soft tread compound. M/ts don't have much, if any, siping.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Firestone&model=Winterforce&partnum=17SR5FWF

There is a 265/75/r16 that is 31.5 or so I believe. They are AWESOME tires. And they are cheap to boot. We experience tons of snow up here in the UP of michigan and I see these tires everywhere. All the guys around here with 2wd pickups swear by these tires, and 2wd pickups SUCK in the snow. Buy them.

I have also heard good things about blizzak tires; might be worth looking into them.

I'd attach some of these badboys:

istockphoto_2988685_ice_racing_tire.jpg

Ice < spike

Firestone Winterforce tires are where it's at. I think I am the only one so far to suggest a winter dedicated snow tire, which is what you are asking for. A m/t on ice is terrible. Deep snow they work great, but with ice you want lots of siping and soft tread compound. M/ts don't have much, if any, siping.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Firestone&model=Winterforce&partnum=17SR5FWF

There is a 265/75/r16 that is 31.5 or so I believe. They are AWESOME tires. And they are cheap to boot. We experience tons of snow up here in the UP of michigan and I see these tires everywhere. All the guys around here with 2wd pickups swear by these tires, and 2wd pickups SUCK in the snow. Buy them.

I have also heard good things about blizzak tires; might be worth looking into them.

Blizzaks kick ass. I had two lowered S10's with them on in norther MN. and I pushed snow up to the headlights no problem. The problem is I needed 4 on a 2 wd or you can't steer. Winterforce though are 75% as good at way less cost. I have had a few sets of those to. They are unbeatable for the price.

LOL the spikes... There have been days in Vermont when I wished I'd had those.

If you want to run a dedicated snow tire in a 33", with your concerns being black ice and so forth, you either find studdable mud tires with lots of sipes or the BFG AT. The BFG AT I would choose and have used personally ( I live in the coldest place in the world of cities with 500K+ per capita, Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada) is the 33x9.50 size. You get the smallest contact patch with the greatest amount of sipes on the road and it's all you can do. Do not air down your tire as you will have worse traction.
The 9.5 width on the 33"er cuts through everything and the small patch gets great traction. There is no 'perfect' tire, but this is my choice and hope this helps.

I'm not certain but I think you can get "real" snow tires in P-metric sizes like 285/75R16 (roughly 33x11x16).

Failing that BFG ATs are about as close as you can get to a real snow tire. Not optimal say compared to an Alpin X-Ice but they don't completely suck either.

I run Wild Spirit Radial DTX's on my rig. These are under the Cordovan Tire label. They're an AT that is studdable. And lucky for you, they make'em in a 33x12.50R15. I've driven mine (235/75/15) on ice around Hendersonville, NC during their usual ice storm every year. I don't have any studs, but I think with their siping and tread pattern/compound, I think they did pretty well in the slick stuff.

Wild-Spirit-DTX.jpg

So I desire a studdable pizza cutter with siping. Does such a beast exist? (I am looking around myself and not finding much, not trying to be helpless)

Or maybe I'll just park it and get a winter beater, might be cheaper than 4 new rims and tires.

Last edited:
I think the Maxxis bighorns have holes for studs, that and getting the center lugs siped I think they would do pretty well. I also like the BFG ATs they rock in the snow.

I ran 32x11.5 bfg a/t's through 18 inches of fresh snow. they were on my old xj with a 4.5 inch lift and a open diff in the front and a lsd in the rear. I was pushing snow the entire time but I made the 30 miles trip from my dorm to my parents house. Best tire I've had all around. Specially in the snow. haha I couldnt even tell where the road was when I went out, no plow trucks were out even, no power anywhere, nobody on the roads hehe. bfg a/t's all the way!

And give me a few more weeks and it should be snowing here in wisc, and hopefully I'll have the 33 inch bfg a/t on and I'll chime in again :D

Me too. Do they have Round Table pizza in AZ?

That place rocks.

A close second is IMO's in St. Louis.

you're coming to the Rock for the M&G in a couple weeks right?

The issue is finding a narrow tire in these sizes. I think the only 33x10.50 or narrower tires out there are BFGs or Swampers. Unless there is something in metric, of course. Most 33+" tires are 12.50s or larger.

I know you say you want a studded snow tire....

But I really think you will be happiest with a BFG AT KO.

They were rated to be the best snow tire out of all the big ones and I can attest to how well they work.

I am a Swamper guy myself, but for a daily driven family machine I need more milage and some better wet weather traction.

BFG AT KO does exactly that.

I run both 31" and a 35" on our trucks.

The 31's are too small but they amaze me all the time for being street tires.
The 35's... I have had in snow deeper then the height of the tire, I live on the mountain and it gets REALLY deep here. I have had to stop, get out and get the pile of snow off the hood so I could see where I was going.

Never have I had a problem commuting with them on any street. The blizzard of 06' here in colorado, they shut the plow trucks down it was so bad. We were the only people on the street and we went where ever we needed to with out worry.

If the BFG AT's wouldn't have been given to me, I would not have bought them. Now that I have run them, I know they are a worthy tire and I would buy them again.

As for studded tire's..... I have never agreed that studs should be on a 4x4.
If your sliding, you need to go slower.

Studded snows are for honda's with front wheel drive. They NEED the help.

I see far too many driving around here in Colorado in the middle of summer with studded tires! It destroys the roads quicker, then you get mad when they raise taxes to fix them.

Just my opinion, but I believe a 33" BFG AT would be a good friend to you.

XJR

We have alot of black ice, at the beginning of the winter(started about a month ago), followed by wet snow and rain that turn to ice lasting till around april or so. The roads up here are not salted, since its too expensive to ship salt up. they throw gravel on the roads for the most part. I run BFG AT on all my rigs and they do fine. Another great tire is the Goodyear Workhorse, I loved those tires; but they are no longer manufactured in alot of sizes. in about two months the road will be glare ice from wear I live all the way to the end of the road(either direction from the wye) There are some steep grades up to 17% IIRC with some nasty switchbacks as well and buckles in the road. The BFG's work better than the studded tires on our GV's. Just my two cents you know.

Back