• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 tune up?

Sparkman

NAXJA Forum User
I finally got a 242 to put in my '01. It's out of a '00 and has 66k on it. I want to make sure it's in tip-top shape before I take the time to install it. It looks like it leaked some, so at the very least I want to put all new seals in it.

Do I need to open it up in order to put new seals in it?

If I do open it up, is there anything that I should inspect or replace while I'm in there?

Thanks

With only 66kmiles, I'd probably not be worried much about chain stretch or anything like that - just do new input & output seals and make sure the case-half seal and tailcone seals don't leak, and you should be okeh. You can' reseal the case halves and the tailcone with RTV Black, and make sure to put a bead of RTV Black around the metal rims of the seals before you drive them in.

5-90

I don't know for sure if it's a good way to tell but by grabbing the two shafts and twisting it feels like the chain is nice and tight. The thing looks like it's leaking at the shifter and the front output shaft thought, so those seals need to be replaced.

I have put a lot of seals in different stuff but never a t-case, and never used RTV around the metal. Just curious why you recommend it? I learn something new every day, thanks 5-90.

Actually permatex 1B works better on the seals because the rtv can get displaced too easily. I've had too many tailcone seals leak with rtv. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

Back