• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Exhaust suggestions

XJLimited01

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have a really good experience with a certain exhaust? Borla seems to be the only company currently offering a full cat-back for 2001's, but any feeback on kits for 97+ XJ's will be appreciated.

XJClassic said:
Not to hi-jack ... but about the Borla. Does anyone know if that would work on a '98? The Borla website says there is no fitment.

That is supprising sence they didn't get the precats on the manafold till midyear 2000.

EDIT: Oh sorry, they should bolt on no problems.

I have wanted something better and new for my 2000. It has a cast manifold with two outlets, no precats. As far as cat back systems, my XJ has a two bolt flange rather than welded or slip jointed conection. I suppose I could modify to fit, but bolt on is nice too.
Angus

The Mike Leach headers look awsome! Has anyone had problems with the rustys system fitting? Or does it use the sock fittings and hangers?

I run a kolak 2.5" system with a magnaflow (carsound) converter and a flowmaster 70 muffler ,it sounds nice not too loud ,you could allways go with a 50 or even a 40 series if you wanted it louder cant beat the price for good performance and a superb fit also reduced underhood temps by 125 degrees.

The muffler is about 4 times the size of the stock one, it doesn't produce a good sound in my opinion, and it doesn't line up well with the cat. All in all I was extremely disappointed in spending the extra money on the gibson when i could have gotten a much smaller flowmaster from rusty's for half the price.

Ditto. Had a gibson and catco high flow cat on the old XJ and it just plain BLEW. Poor sound (borla-like spitting), huge muffler, no power increase at all even when combined with other mods.

Someone mentioned having a 2000 with a dual exit manifold with no precats? I have never seen this, I thought all later model XJ's with dual exit manifolds had the precats.

Alot of people mention borla and other headers, why go from a dual exit manifold to a single exit header, you probably wouldn't get any gains, maybe even losses. Not to mention you would have to weld on bungholios for the O2's. PITA

If you have a 2001 with the precats, maybe find a dual exit 2000 from the junk yard without the precats, if they exist... this would be a cheap way for a little extra gains on the top side of your exhaust but the 2001 manifold is pretty freeflowing as it is, compared to the earlier manifolds.

Other than that Clifford offers dual exit headers. Personally I ordered a kolak exhaust (carsound cat, flowmaster muff, mandrel bent tail pipe, and a bling bling tip!), I'll post my experiences after it is installed.

I wouldn't rate it over a Flowmaster or a Borla system, but, I picked up a Dynomax cat-back from Summit for about $110, has a nice sound, a little more low end and a stainless steel tip that looks pretty good from the back of my '98

I put a flowmaster series 40 (if I recall right) on my 01. From the Cat back. Just cut the 2 bolt flange and weld it to the flowmaster. (a few bucks at midus). In hindsight, get the smallest profile muffler you can find. Mine's pretty dented by now.

Yep my 2000 has the dual exit with no pre-cats. I have heard that mid 2000 was when the pre-cats came to play. I guess mine should flow good stock and would only benifit from a cat back system.
Angus

Angus said:
Yep my 2000 has the dual exit with no pre-cats. I have heard that mid 2000 was when the pre-cats came to play. I guess mine should flow good stock and would only benifit from a cat back system.
Angus

As is mine, guess we're lucky :laugh3:

Back