• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ Died......

Not trying to be a jerk but how much fuel is in the tank? I'm only asking because I've seen it happen before and lead to days of aggrivation.

Not trying to be a jerk but how much fuel is in the tank? I'm only asking because I've seen it happen before and lead to days of aggrivation.
LOL.....simpler things have been known to catch us off guard.
I asked him the same question when he pulled in the driveway and it died. He told me it had a bit over 1/4 of a tank.

About the accuracy of XJ fuel gauges...

if you are starting it with ether(or whatever) through the TB aren't you bypassing the injectors completely? I know this isn't the problem but still true

It was the fuel pump...........
He pulled in my drive at 4:50 with tools and new pump and filters.
He pulled the tank down...took pump out...put in new pump in with new stainers and new gaskets on tank.... got it mounted back up...finished at 5:25. He made it look easy.
Fired right up.
Done deal.

what brand pump did you use? I think I need a new one too.

what brand pump did you use? I think I need a new one too.
They didn't have anthing but the Airtex brand available on short notice at O'reillys and they delivered it to his work.
He told me when he put this one in he didn't put a fuel pump in this vehicle....it was his other SUV.

Last edited:
Just to add a side note here:
Just because you can hear the fuel pump run and press the schrader valve to see fuel spew out....

DON'T a**sume you have a good pump.

Before we verified the fuel pressure with a gage and after the key was cycled a few times, there WAS pressure at the fuel rail.
The pump would still put a little pressure to the rail.
A cheap fuel pressure tester will save you one step in dialing in your problem.

i just got my jeep a couple weeks ago and it died on me out of nowhere and would only start with my foot on the gas... turned out it was the wire harness on the thermostat housing was loose. The only reason i checked it was because my temp. guage was reading way too low. i have no clue why that would kill the engine but it did.. just something to look out for. good luck

i just got my jeep a couple weeks ago and it died on me out of nowhere and would only start with my foot on the gas... turned out it was the wire harness on the thermostat housing was loose. The only reason i checked it was because my temp. guage was reading way too low. i have no clue why that would kill the engine but it did.. just something to look out for. good luck

Your CTS--coolant temperature sensor--feeds data to the PCM and the data was way out of specs.

Holding the pedal to the floor while starting is the "clear flood" mode.

FYI if the Sentry key system (Its not called VATS, that is GM) is reporting it can't see the key for some reason it will let the will start, run for a few seconds and then die. The key icon on the dash will also blink.

Back