• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 Jeep Cherokee stalls after warm-up

my bad, im a newbie.... i said its a 99 but its a 00. just got the jeep so i looked at the title again to make sure. i was wrong. sorry bout that. its got a 4.0 with an automatic and 231 transfer case.

another thing i replaced was the stock intake and filter with and replaced it with a k&n setup. thats the only mod done to it.

as far as the idle goes, it likes to hang around right under the dash below the 1000 rpm mark. that being said, i take it that the dash im speaking of is the 750 rpm mark and i would say my jeep runs at around 500 to 600 rpms. my old jeep hung around the 750 rpm or so and it idled way smoother.

i dont think the fuel delivery is the problem. i can hear the fuel pump still working after it stalls. it probably wouldnt hurt to check it though. i dont have alot of tools so what would i be looking at getting to check the fuel pressure?

my mechanically inclined buddy said that i might wanna check the ignition coil. he said that it might not be giving off enough spark for it. i think i might have to swipe the coil off my old jeep and check that out. i didnt get the chance to check the cam sensor, sounds like i might need a lil help with that. i did however check the positive wire going to the fuse/relay box on the passenger side and everything looks good to go. i also checked all the grounds i could find and they too looked good.

thank you for the help as my journey continues.......

Last edited:
Use a real fuel pressure gauge to measure the fuel pressure - you can buy or borrow them at most parts stores. Pull the redneck trick and stick it to your windshield with masking tape, then drive around watching it (and the road!) till the vehicle stalls out. When you feel it start to stall, check the gauge.

Use a real fuel pressure gauge to measure the fuel pressure - you can buy or borrow them at most parts stores. Pull the redneck trick and stick it to your windshield with masking tape, then drive around watching it (and the road!) till the vehicle stalls out. When you feel it start to stall, check the gauge.

Agree on testing the fuel pressure.

Also, the ECU/PCM controls the IAC stepper motor. The ECU/PCM tells the IAC what to do based on input from sensors. When the inputs match certain parameters programmed into the ECU/PCM it signals the IAC to extend or retract.

One often overlooked sensor feeding the ECU/PCM is the TPS, throttle position sensor. If it is sending bad data--only the Renix were adjustable--it has to be replaced. Test it. Plenty of threads on here with the test procedures for your late model. Unfortunately, NAXJA search engine doesn't DO 3-character-or-less searches. There is, luckily, a sticky when you first enter the OEM forum with search instructions and a work around using Google and filtering for NAXJA threads.

There is a "toothpick" adjustment for the synch sensor (stator) or CMP camshaft position sensor or CPS--gets confusing doesn't it! The CMP/CPS synch sensor (stator) provides input to the ECU/PCM, which controls the duration of the firing impulse for the injectors--rich or lean. Richer mixture, lower idle, leaner mixture, higher idle. So, do another search on the "toothpick" adjustment and do that too.

Post back your results.

Dies when hot and starts after it cools down is usually the CKP crank position sensor (aka CPS). Just read this whole thread.

x2 I'm with Winterbeater. Thermal failure of the CPS/CKP crank sensor is a known issue.

thanks guys, i will be getting a fuel pressure gauge and taking a look at whats going on. although, i wont have to duct tape it to my windsheild cuz my rig hasnt stalled while driving it.... yet. i just have to start it in the driveway and itll stall out there. lol

i will check my throttle positioning sensor and maybe swap it with my other jeep and see if that make any sort of difference. i have noticed the cam positioning sensor "toothpick" adjustment. how involved is that. i like to think i know what im doing but usually i dont. i want to learn tho....

if nothing works, i will look into at least borrowing an ecu and checking that out. is it possible to reflash the ecu? maybe the very first thing i will try is to hook up a scan tool and see if anything pops up..

again, thank you for your guidance in my problem even tho its slow going cuz of all the freaking snow we keep getting!

Last edited:
again, thank you for your guidance in my problem even tho its slow going cuz of all the freaking snow we keep getting!

If you want to get rid of the snow, just put up signs around town:

OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES HERE

Guaranteed to get rid of snow!

haha, thats pretty good.... we are on track to having the most snowfall ever in a single season and there is 9 more inches forcasted for tomorrow and monday. we have had at least 5 inches on the ground for over 70 days so far this winter. that is a new record for the state. its getting old.......

so, i havent really done anything to my jeep as of yet, just been driving it, and i swear, its got a mind of its own...

ive checked the positive and grounds wires, made sure they were all good and snug, and swapped my optima battery in it and it hasnt stalled. instead of stalling, it sputters for a sec and almost stalls and catches itself and revs up to like 2000 rpm and slowly comes back down to where it was. optima was plenty charged with 14.7 volts before i dropped it in.

then today happened. i went out like normal, and started er up. came back in the house got ready for work, went out to leave and no heat. it was on when i started it but there was nothing now. no blower motor at all. not on any speed. i went ahead and checked the fuse under the hood and even swapped with another fuse and still nothing. i even pulled the control panel outta the dash to make sure the connections were all clicked into place and of course, they were all good. so now its wiring or a relay maybe? anyone know where the relay is located?

on a good note, the snow missed us this time... it all stayed south of us. woohoo. winter needs to end!

Last edited:
Not for sure, but I don't believe there is a relay in the HVAC circuit, even on the late model.

If the fuse blew in the blower motor resistor pack that would cut off everything to the blower motor.

The HVAC circuit on the XJ is notoriously weak. I tends to overheat the connector at the back of the switch, the wiring, even adds to problems with the ignition switch at the foot of the steering column.

Good practice is to turn off ALL electrical accessories before turning off the ignition. The next time you start your XJ there won't be a sudden load hitting the ignition switch.

starting to warm up a lil bit and i got to do a lil tinkering on the jeep and got the heater fixed. ended up having to put a new blower motor in it and i have heat again. everything else looked good but the wires going to the blower motor had an issue. the connector that plugs into the blower motor got a lil hot. started to melt a lil bit but it was still useable so i used it. i found another xj and pulled the harness with that plug on it but dang, that was a pain in the butt to get out. im gonna have to plan a weekend to get the new one in without breaking stuff. lol

as for my stalling problems, i havent had a problem as of late. i still think it idles way to low and rough but it hasnt stalled. maybe its because its getting nicer and isnt quite as cold but time will tell. hopefully cleaning and making sure all my pos and neg connections were all good helped out. ever since i did that, its been better. hope so, i wanna start an axle swap soon....

i will be back if it starts acting up again. thanks for all the help! i needed it.

I had the same stalling, cutting out problem on my 94 , it left me sitting twice ,it was not the cps ,the coil gave weak spark ,I replaced it and that didn't help ,fuel pressure was good but I noticed it would drop suddenly right before it died.Try checking the fuel flow,good pressure is not the same as good volume. My problem ended up being the fuel pump ,I replaced it no more cutting out.

coolant temp sensor, on jeeps. I don't know enough about how the ECU uses the CTS in its decision making to really tell if that could have any bearing on this problem, but I figured a flaky CTS connection would only result in crappy gas mileage and perhaps damage to the catalytic converter if left alone for long enough.

Back