• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 Jeep Cherokee stalls after warm-up

You always got spark, so it is a fuel issue. But I would do the spark thing again to see if it starts right back up again. I'd go back through the whole thread to find out, but did you ever verify fuel pressure when it dies?

Time for an exorcism with dynomite! This is just a mechnical device that will respont to logic. This is just a mechnical device that will respont to logic. This is just a mechnical device that will respont to logic. This is just a mechnical device that will respont to logic.

Yes, I've run it with the fuel pressure guage before and it always stays at 49-50psi all the way through the stall and retains pressure after it has stopped running. I can double check it again just to make sure. The fuel pump is brand new, due to this problem on the recommendation of the dealership.

Borrow/rent a fuel gauge.

Hook it up when dead cold, then start and run engine till it fails while observing the gauge.

I will say you seem to have infinite patience, and I wish you the best of luck.

Patience is what God is trying to teach me while being unemployed through this piece of crap. I've done all of this befor but I can double-check and make sure. hell it doesn't cost me anything.

Interesting idea just posted on another "hot stall" thread.

" Re: CPS? sob just died on me on i-state Dear Lord Please Help
Hi,
I would put serious money on it being the CPS, my 93 XJ would drive 2 or 3 miles and then cut out, after 15 to 20 minutes it would start back up good as new, till the next time it cut out. A new CPS fixed it and it's been running great for a couple of years now. I eventually figured out what happens - the CPS is fitted to the top of the bell housing and gets it's impulses from the flywheel, as the engine warms up the bell housing expands and moves the CPS away from the flywheel, this results in the computer losing the CPS signal and the engine quits, it will start back up when the bell housing cools back down, a new CPS can handle this expansion but an old one cannot. If you do change the CPS make sure you zip tie the CPS lead to the firewall to keep it well away from the exhaust. "

Interesting idea just posted on another "hot stall" thread.

" Re: CPS? sob just died on me on i-state Dear Lord Please Help
Hi,
I would put serious money on it being the CPS, my 93 XJ would drive 2 or 3 miles and then cut out, after 15 to 20 minutes it would start back up good as new, till the next time it cut out. A new CPS fixed it and it's been running great for a couple of years now. I eventually figured out what happens - the CPS is fitted to the top of the bell housing and gets it's impulses from the flywheel, as the engine warms up the bell housing expands and moves the CPS away from the flywheel, this results in the computer losing the CPS signal and the engine quits, it will start back up when the bell housing cools back down, a new CPS can handle this expansion but an old one cannot. If you do change the CPS make sure you zip tie the CPS lead to the firewall to keep it well away from the exhaust. "

Thanks man, I actually read this one awhile back and it makes perfect sense too me. The only thing is that the last shop it was at "supposedly" put in a new CKP. If it is a new CKP then this may not be the problem. I can't tell if it's new or not. All I know is that I noticed they lost the little plastic cover. It's too cold at the moment to mess around with the Jeep today, but as soon as it gets back to above freezing I'll start running some more tests. I still think there is something funky going on with the CKP and it's relationship to the other sensors. That's my gut at the moment.

It has been a while since my last post, but hopefully I'm near the end. I replaced the CKP that was supposedly installed by the shop I'll never go too again, yesterday. This CKP came from the dealership. My Jeep fired up and ran really well. It seems to be starting easier. I drove it around for a little over 30minutes. Let it idle for a while and it did not stall. I'm cautiously optimistic that I have fixed it, but I've been here before. I made an appointment with the dealership this morning to have them run a diagnostic on the computer and check my install of the CKP. That thing is a PITA to take out and install! I will also have them check the fuel timing, as I messed with that trying to fix the problem and it is probably a little out of whack. I will post back what ever the out come is. Say a prayer for me or wish me luck. On a side note, I also now have a job. So, thanks to all of you for your prayers in that department.

So far so good. 40miles and about an 1-1/2 run time no stalling. The dealership set the fuel timing and torqued the CKP bolts to spec. They ran a full system check and then the drove it all over. It didn't stall for them either. My wife will be driving back and forth to work Wed and Thurs. this equals about 145 miles total and I will be diving it to Baltimore on Friday, about 150miles round trip. I'll keep you posted.

:party:All right. Things are looking up and spring is on its way! Hope your new job goes well. I went on an interview today after a dry spell since Thanksgiving. Just hoping for good results on that one too.:party:

Sounds like the issue is probably not your crank sensor then.

A lot of intereting information here. My 01 sport has been having similar issues off and on. Tonight it was running fine, backed up, and it died. Wouldn't start until about an hour later then fired right up no problem. It has had a vacum leak code for a while and one mechanic put some heat tape around one of my cylinder heads on the coil pack, suppposed to have something to do with the fuel vaporization thing mentioned earlier in this thread. I think I am going to go for the CKP.

_____UPDATE_____
____please read___

-I replaced my positive wire to the relay/fuse center(passengerside fender behind battery).

-I also replaced the auto shutdown relay.

-I cleaned all existing groundwire terminals with a sanding bit on the dremel, retapped the threads on all groundwire bolt holes, and verified continuity on each ground wire.

-I used the same sanding bit and removed paint/metal on the terminals, body, engine block, intake manifold, and the underside and threads of all groundwire bolts.

-I added additional groundwires; One new groundwire is connected directly from the engineblock to the negative terminal on the battery. A second groundwire is connected from the negative terminal to the upper radiator support frame. I used the existing
braided groundwires' bolt location on the firewall for a third groundwire which I ran directly to the Intake manifold.

-I replaced my accel ignition coil(installed new Oct.2k8) with a new MSD coil. Part#8228.

-I used 2Gauge cablewire for all of the wires I replaced including the positive wire from the battery to the PDC relay box. This is not a 2Gauge stranded stereo wire, It was cut from the spool @ The Home Depot for $1.28/ft. utilizes individual solid copper cores and the sheathing is oil resistant.

-The 2Gauge terminal ends are solid copper, were also sanded, and continuity was verified from end-to-end.

I completed all of those items a little over 3 weeks ago and my XJ has not had even one stumble yet. I will not knock on wood because short of another cranksensor going bad, I have fixed the problems.
I personally believe the main problem was and more than likely IS the positive wire from battery to the relay/fuse box(PDC).
I believe everyone who owns an XJ with this positive to PDC wire setup should upgrade the entire cable regardless of the current problem you are experiencing & especially if your JeeP is ProblemFree!

-Since I replaced that tiny gauge wire, I have a stronger, more consistent reading on my battery gauge. The Idle is rock solid. Performance and throttle response are greater than before. I can run DELTA highbeams(H4's), foglights(H3's), rear window defrost, and other accessories without ever dropping below +/- 13Volts even while idling.

-The main reason I encourage you replace the wire is because when i opened the small cover that shields the terminal end on the PDC box, the wire, end, and PDC housing were covered in corrosion. the wire had corrosion almost the entire length of it! The outer sheathing was perfectly intact, I sliced down the side of the sheathing and there were scattered spots the copper wire was still pristine.
2Gauge wire here is NOT overkill; however it is extremely hard to work with in such a tight and fixed location. I say fixed because the cable has an L shaped end on it with two holes and only one nut holds it to the box. I strongly suggest using an impact driver to remove the nut especially if the corrosion is present!!!
Use of a wrench, cordless drill, socket/ratchet will cause damage to the box/nut/stud/or worse.
I reused the straight section of the L bracket end, and mounted it under the copper terminal end of the new 2Gauge wire. Remembering to mock this up many times including after the box is snapped back down in its fixed position I started the bends.

Once perfect during mockup then you will know how much electrical tape or shrinktube to use. Then double it! Remember this is a positive source carrying hundrends of amperage, if anything metal of the vehicle touches it, It will be bad, very very BAD!

Adam

Last edited:
2001 Jeep Cherokee stalls after warm-up

I know there is a lot of postings related to this, anyway.
My 2001 XJ starts great, once it warms up it idles at 200-300 rpm then usually stalls.
It coded a bad TPS, which I replaced and it didn't change anything which could mean a bad new unit or as I was thinking I didn't think a bad TPS would allow/cause it to stall ?
I pulled the t-body off and pulled the IAS? to check for excess carbon build up. It didn't look bad but that looks like it could affect idle as it bypasses the throttle plate when open.
What does that gizmo on the T-body do that has the short 90 degree hose ?
Thanks and HELP, prob wasted $50 on a new TPS.
Radioradio

That gizmo is the MAP sensor - manifold air pressure sensor.

Sounds like your IAC valve (what you're calling the IAS) may need cleaning, I'd just clean it with some throttle body cleaner and a Q-tip.

first off, hi! this is my very first post here and of course, i have a problem with my new xj. the problems in this thread look kinda like mine but ill fill you in on exactly whats up with mine.

i bought this jeep from miami and drove it home to iowa. the guy i bought it from said that every now and again it would sputter but i thought no biggy, i can handle that... well, its not so eazy come to find out.

on the way home with it, it did this jerking like it lost all power and turned right back on. my gauges even acted like they lost all power and came right back on. the needles on my gauge cluster bounced around.

so i get the thing back home and i talk to my buddy who also has and xj and he says the crank positioning sensor is to blame. its happened to him. i went to the stealership and got a new one and installed it. the whole time before and after the crank sensor replacement, the jeep seemed to have a low idle.

i have yet to be back on the interstate with the jeep since i got the new crank sensor and that is when it seems to do its whole jerking thing but something else has cropped up. its darn cold here in iowa and i go out and start the jeep and let it warm up in the morning and a couple of times now it will run for a lil bit and then it just stalls out. i can go right back outside and it has started right back up for me everytime tho.

today i went and grabbed a new idle air controller valve and pulled the throttle body off and gave it a good cleaning and then put the new valve in. i got done in the nick of time and had to pull it out of the garage and take right off. i didnt get to let it run and see if its good or not. the idle is still on the low side so im willing to bet that the problem is not fixed yet.

im very interested in the cam positioning sensor adjustment with the toothpick and i think i may look into that tomorrow if i get a chance. i am also going to look at the positive cable going into the fuse block too.

i also swapped out the battery for an optima red top i had in my other xj that was recently totalled out. that jeep never gave me any issues....

i remind you that every time my jeep stalls, i can go right out and it starts right back up every time. i havent had to wait for it to cool back down..... yet.

so, is there anything else that i need to look at or has anyone had the issues im having? if you do i would love to hear what you have to say.

thank you in advance and please, be easy on me, im a newbie....

well, it did it again. apparently everything ive done so far hasnt changed a thing.... it stalled out in the driveway again this morning. im stumped...

1st rule of NAXJA Club: always post details about your vehicle.

2nd rule of NAXJA Club: always post details about your vehicle.

3rd rule of NAXJA Club: when in doubt, follow rules 1 and 2.

Ok, 99 or 00?

Auto or manual trans?

What is the low idle--how many RPMs?

Back