• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 Rear Stretch using Nissan Titan Springs/ Shackles

aparke4

NAXJA Forum User
Stage 1 - rear shackles and relocation brackets on - still using RE 4.5 full leafs

After doing some research, I found a set of nissan titan springs that are right in the ball park of giving the xj a rear stretch of about 3-4 inches. i have no fuel cell so this is honestly the farthest back I could go (which is as far as i wanted anyways) without cutting into the gas tank skid or moving the stock tank. i like that my gauges work and i have a decent skid on the tank. I also am running 35 inch bfg MT's and in the future I could run a 36 or 37 if i wanted to... anyways the titan springs have a hell uv a override spring which i have taken off. The springs are 2.5 inches wide and i will be using the forward most stock spring hanger with out any mods to it. For the rear spring hanger i have purchased the H.D. offroad Engineering Relocation brackets which are BEEF - 1 piece 1/4 bent and fit like a glove - and have them in the farthest back setting so I can bolt up my new springs... anyways here is the run down

what i have:
2 - nissan titan leaf springs - removed overload spring
2- stock nissan titan shackles - will provide 1 inch lift for the XJ and are black powedercoated incase anyone wants to use them for lift
4- new grade 8 shackle bolts, washers and nylocks
1 set - HD eng. relocation brackets - come with hardware
2 sets of RE braided brake line - to provide enough room to move axle back with out pulling brake line - might only need 1 though because there is a lot of hardline already run on my 44
1 set of 5* axle shims in case i need to adjust pinion angle
4 new 44 ubolts - rough country

this stretch will also eliminate my 1.5 blocks which should provide a softer ride with a little more rear articulation while keeping the same ride height

if the nissan springs are too rough i can always take a leaf out

anyways here are the pics: springs are not in yet - i am running RE 4.5 leafs - i am putting the new leafs in when i get the time

also - drive shaft is going to be extended with a piece of DOM - i have a nice custon shaft on there already with a SYE so since this rig will see mostly off road i am doing it myself... i have done the front already and have no vibes are 70 mph

ok i think thats it for now

these are camera pics - i will put up more from my friends camerea when i get em which are much better quality

9a6zgj.jpg

25a3n6w.jpg

2128om0.jpg

2128om0.jpg

14cr69j.jpg

2ebzwxd.jpg

9vdxxj.jpg

n3uf0w.jpg

14e75ab.jpg

34pay9w.jpg

Last edited:
sorry - i think about 5-6 inches

they stand pretty tall on the garage floor and i will be eliminating the block so with the 1 inch shackles and relocation brackets i hope for about 7 inches total - no more hopefully

got the driver side stiffener on - man 70 plug welds plus a couple stitches on the top side and i had no notch part of the bottom for my control arm mount and then welded the control arm mount to the stiffener! man beefy as all can be - also i have some olypic rock rails which i welded to the stiffeners and bolted back to the pinch seam - truley overkill which in my experience is always a good thing... pics to come

oh and by the way - the stiffeners fit like a glove but wire wheeling old dirt and undercoating stinks! and you need to make sure if you have an aftermarket tcase skid - i have a skid row you measure and drill holes before - or in my case since i am reusing self tappers just mark and drill... also the E brake cable bracket needs holes drilled into it first so you can bolt it back up - in my case since i am stretching it - we moved it back a couple inches to get more brake line travel - couple fill fill welds in the bolt holes and we are golden! now just gotta primes and paint - might do some undercoating spray over it as well since my rails have a bed liner on them!

should have the springs on soon - i am driving the jeep now as a DD until my vw gets fixed

update*

the shacle relocation brackets are not long enough! the RE's were ok but man the titan springs are long! i ended up with some shock tabs welded to rear bumper... rides SO much better than the RE's... longer springs with less leafs... also just got them - 14 inch pro comp shocks mated to a cross member through the rear floor - jks mounts welded on... pics in a few days

awesome!

updated pics: unfortunatly with school and other things this things has sat dormant since i last started - i need 2 good weekends worth of work to seal it up - the stretch is great but i still need to mount my shocks... i am in the process of getting a 14 bolt/ 60 combo so the 44/30 set up might not be there too much longer!

pics:

2mq88w6.jpg

2j0jqjd.jpg

2ll1qus.jpg

2jfg11v.jpg

2nkl0yw.jpg

yeah - i have a lot of little clean up to do - i literally left it half way done over x mas break and it has been sitting since! bondo, paint (unified color) body, paint rest of WJ knuckcle conversion, and rear axle truss ... so maybe one weekend here i will knock it out

What did that take your wheelbase to? I used a set of MJ leafs and got a new wheelbase of 106. Here is a shot of mine:
t5llj9.jpg

9zohn7.jpg

Note the picture above is with the chevy shackles I put on it to get it rolling. Here is what I am running now:
33bibfb.jpg

2ujgo76.jpg

Back