• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 opinions

all i was simply saying that all jeeps will have drive line issues from being lifted if they didnt so many people wouldnt have needed sye or tc drops...I just think its kind a wierd how there is s TSB for it, and yet it has an identical driveline to a 96 and some 95, you think that the body changes would have very little to do with it

It's the output on the 97 ( 96.5) TC's. A long exposed shaft is more prone to vibes :shhh:

Do those dampener things the dealers put on work?.
Good info by the way.

There is really nothing bad I can say about my "98! It's a Jeep!! If I bought another XJ it would be 97+ because I think they are best. Some years are worse than others BUT reguardless of what you buy you will put money into it. Buy it, build it and enjoy it!!:NAXJA:

so...98 is a better choice than 99 due to head crackiing issues? The auto trans is different in the 99 ? ABS is no good in these years? Thaanks and Happy New Year party1:

Jeepkid91 said:
so...98 is a better choice than 99 due to head crackiing issues? The auto trans is different in the 99 ? ABS is no good in these years? Thaanks and Happy New Year party1:

Like "red01xj" said, I've always understood it was the '00s & '01s that have the weak heads.

I'd say if it feels right... buy it!!! :yelclap:

there are also no precats on a 98. I don't know when they started putting them in but it seems the 98 didn't have as many emmisions restrictions. I have had some wiring issues but I love my 98

and i wouldnt worry about the abs... the dana 35 is the axle that comes with the abs....i had it for 7 years no problems decied to switch to a dana 44 just to upgrade the axle

sorry to highjack but I have a 98 and this is the first I ahve heard about the recalls, can I still ahve them performed, went to the jeep link and says brake rotor and air bag recalls have not been done yet.

robjohns said:
sorry to highjack but I have a 98 and this is the first I ahve heard about the recalls, can I still ahve them performed, went to the jeep link and says brake rotor and air bag recalls have not been done yet.
go to the dealership

robjohns said:
wow that a big help
Well what do you expect? You take it to a dealership, they lookup your record and give you a yay or nay on a recall. Recall by design IIRC does not expire. So... take it to a dealership.

Kejtar said:
Well what do you expect? You take it to a dealership, they lookup your record and give you a yay or nay on a recall. Recall by design IIRC does not expire. So... take it to a dealership.

(+1) Yep!! :clap:

And now back to our original thread...
My son has a '95 XJ, my daughter has a '99 XJ and I drive a '98. I like both the '98 and '99 over the '95, but all three are great trucks and have been excellent in terms of reliability and being easy to fix myself. I did put a 2001 intake on my '98, as well as an Edelbrock header and a K&N cold air induction air filter. Keep in mind my truck only has 88K miles on the odometer and I plan to keep it for a LONG time. So it was worth the investment. Those three mods sure helped my 98's horsepower (as demonstrated in off-the-line response to throttle), and they may have helped the gas mileage some, but not a lot. I would do those mods again. But then, I don't have a soft touch on the throttle. Yep, the fog light switch sucks, I have had to put the mod on the master window switch, and I replaced the sucky factory sound system and speakers. Bottom line, I love my '98 and would recommend one to a friend, if the specific vehicle was in good shape and had been decentlyl maintained by the P.O.

Back