• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1991 steering colume repair

bchulett

NAXJA Member #999
Anyone know a local shop or dealer they trust that can fix the loose wheel? The torx bolts finally worked their way out... feels like the wheel is about to fall off.

My interior is pristine.. looking for a place that has patience and workmanship to do this right without hacking something up.

Thanks

Grimm has torn into a couple of my steering columns over the last few years. You won't know he was there except that they suddenly work. ;)

if it's just the bolts working loose I can probably help you out.

Grimm has torn into a couple of my steering columns over the last few years. You won't know he was there except that they suddenly work. ;)

Good to know... I dread leaving this to someone that hasn't done it before, hence the reason I won't do it myself.

Grimm... is this a weekend task? Or do you have a shop?

Good to know... I dread leaving this to someone that hasn't done it before, hence the reason I won't do it myself.

While grimm doesn't have a shop, he is good at what he does. Except when it comes to Hondas, that's my specialty :p

Grimm will take care of you. :thumbup:

thanks for the votes of confidence guys :D

its something that can be done in a day, yes. check out this writeup by shelbyluvv to see what we're getting into.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=939364

thats on an 88 MJ but it's pretty much identical inside guts wise (aside from that being a non tilt column that is). once he gets the electrical part of the column moved to the side that's where the bolts you think have come loose are located.

oh and no, I do not have a shop, but i do a lot of work in my driveway (sorry neighbors :wave1:)

If Grimm can't get to it try Gordons Auto Service in Bellflower (562) 867-5518.
They did the same repair on my 89 waggy.

I just tightened mine up last month. Just need a steering wheel puller and an extra pair of hands helps get the snap ring out/in. Took about an 90 minutes including trip to auto parts store to pick up loaner steering wheel puller.

I want to thank everyone for their input and offers to help. I asked around at work and one my employees has a close friend that's built several XJ's and actually lives in my area. I have the all tools with exception to one, therefore I'm going to tackle this in my garage.

I have several write ups from the internet... not to mention video on YouTube for reference. I also have other vehicles to drive, so if this gets hosed up for some reason it will just sit in the garage until I get it fixed - it doesn't get driven very often.

Anyway, I appreciate all the kindness.

Thanks

Back