• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Vibrates intermittently after new power steering pump install

TimmyLambchop

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks, I've got a few things going on with my 1999 XJ classic, but I'm most concerned about the intermittent engine vibrations that have been anywhere from mild to aggressive. I'll also mention that about a month ago I couldn't get the car to turn over and after looking into it I determined it was the NSS - did a bypass with a paperclip to bridge the connection so it would start. Upon doing that the CEL came on with P1899 - NSS, P0705 - Transmission Range Sensor A Circuit (Park / Reverse / Neutral / Drive/ Low Input), P1281 - Low Engine Temperature (Engine runs between 200 - 210 degrees though).

About 3 weeks after I did that bypass, my power steering pump blew to where it spit up fluid all over the engine/inside of the hood and I didn't want to drive it like that so I got it towed to a shop. Next day they told me it was the pump, had them put in a new one and do an oil change. When I picked up the car and started it I noticed it vibrating hard to where I could feel it in the seat, steering wheel and hear it. I was already late for work and had to bike an hour and 20 mins to pick it up so I didn't want to bike the additional hour 40 mins to work to leave the car there to look into that...probably my mistake - was hoping it would go away. Well, it hasn't. It's most noticeable while idling, and sometimes it's mild while other times it's aggressive. I've had one time where the car lurched forward at a stoplight (could be MAP sensor) when aggressively vibrating and I got back to my place to open the hood and the power steering pump was vibrating hard while also making a hum/whirring sound off and on like it was being stressed.

Sorry for the mouthful, the shop quoted $150/hr for labor just to diagnose and "fix" whatever is wrong. Also showed me codes for the CEL: P0700 & P0107. I didn't want to leave it in their hands if their incompetence caused the issue. I'll do my best to respond promptly with questions, but I can tell you I only know basic car stuff and do not know a lot about these vehicles. Any and all advice is appreciated. It's snowboarding season in CO and I'm just trying to be safe on the mountain roads on my days off instead of in a ditch or stranded lol. Transmission is pretty decent, struggles a tad around 30-40mph but has otherwise gotten me up and down mountain roads just fine so far. The car is currently chugging gas unusually fast as well.

Just looking for some second opinions...

A good assumption would be that the "repair" shop effed up a simple driveway repair job. They broke an engine sensor, forgot to plug some wire plug back in, damaged a wire harness, damaged a wire plug, or something else along those lines. Suspect anything a one eyed Moron could bash or smash at the front and top of the engine.

The chugging gasoline, the P1281, and the P0107 should help focus diagnostics. For now, the P0700 series codes should be ignored.

Sounds like they screwed you with an AutoZone grade power steering pump as well.

Visually inspect the Coolant Temperature Sensor, O2 Sensors, and the MAP sensor and their related wiring harnesses and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.

P1281 JEEP code possible causes
- Engine coolant level too low
- Faulty thermostat

P0107 JEEP code possible causes
- Faulty Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor
- Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor circuit poor electrical connection

Last edited:
Those codes only popped up after I bypassed the NSS. I'm considering having the shop replace the pump they installed with a new one under warranty...but reluctant to have them "fix" anything else. I just don't like that it's vibrating the way it is, doesn't seem safe.

I won't be able to look into any of that until tomorrow, I work until 2am tonight. They want me to leave it with them first thing Monday morning to diagnose what's going on. I'm kind of in-between a rock and a hard place because I'm from MN and don't know anybody out here in CO to take it to reliably so I just gambled with a local shop. It runs and drives just fine aside from the vibrating, which is predicated on the power steering pump install.

If the PCM thinks the engine is not properly warmed up, it will stay in open loop and run the engine at full rich settings. Suspect sensor failure or the PCM is unable to access sensor data due to wiring or wire plug issues.

Stop by the local Colorado Chapter page ( https://www.naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=95 ) and ask about trustworthy shops or somebody local you can pay with pizza and beer.

Last edited:
Thread looks dry, but I'll look into it. Can do one better and offer an interior paint job on a room or two as I used to paint professionally. Thanks Tim

Back