• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jungle Gym almost complete, what's on tap for your rig?

Capt. Nemo

NAXJA Member #904
Most of the guys that I wheel with regularly consider this time of the year their “rig rehab” time. That time when the holidays are over, taxes are paid, and there are no looming family obligations. That time when we have a little time to get projects done on our rigs that are otherwise put off, or the time that we finally have to get around to routine maintenance as we get ready for the nicer weather and “wheeling season”.

In this spirit, I thought I’d share what I’ve been up to, and hopefully some others will post up with what projects they have going with their rigs.

I’ve been working on my cage, and hopefully will have it completed within the next couple of weeks. I started with a DandC Extreme XJ cage and went from there. I added some cross braces, the angled “RICK XTRM XJ approved” pieces in the cargo area, and tried my best to triangulate without going completely hog wild with the tubing. There are a few more pieces I will be adding (some are indicated by tape – some are in my head), but the majority of it is complete. The entire cage is 1.5”, .120 wall, HREW tubing. Already, the groaning and creaking that the vehicle used to make when I accelerate is gone, and the whole Jeep feels much better as far as rigidity.

passengercomp.jpg

behindfrontseats.jpg

rearcomp.jpg

rearfull.jpg

rearwide.jpg

topinside.jpg

Disclaimer: None of the welding done on this cage is ore ever will be “URF approved”. I hope that I will one day achieve that level of professionalism. Imitation, however, is the highest form of flattery… :)

urf.jpg

So Boatwrench no has his XJ lifted, what has everyone else been working on?

In addition to the cage, my beadlocks are on order and should be here within the next couple of weeks.

definitely "different"...

why no C pillar? why triangulate to the center where you did? are you going to run a back seat? i'd rather see just a simple corner to corner \ or X in the B-pillar than the funky C/D-pillar-to-uber-thin-floor triangulation.

regardless, it should stiffen the unibody ten fold, and in conjunction with the body should protect passengers well.

BrettM said:
definitely "different"...

why no C pillar? why triangulate to the center where you did? are you going to run a back seat? i'd rather see just a simple corner to corner \ or X in the B-pillar than the funky C/D-pillar-to-uber-thin-floor triangulation.

regardless, it should stiffen the unibody ten fold, and in conjunction with the body should protect passengers well.

Triangulate to the center was because I will be using the rear seat, and I needed a place to secure my spare tire. Where it is welded to the floor is where the rear shock mount brace runs under the body, so when I was welding I noticed better penetration there than other places. If I were to run a C pillar, it would interfere with the rear seat.

I have been working on a full width swap. Hp44 and 9" from a 79 f-150. Turned out to be a bigger project than anticipated(don't they all). Blew my budget almost instantly:) I am almost done now. Trying to get it done by the end of the month to wheel with my Bro for his b-day. Pics and write-up to come.

Nemo, love the cage. What welder are you using?

88flexj said:
I have been working on a full width swap. Hp44 and 9" from a 79 f-150. Turned out to be a bigger project than anticipated(don't they all). Blew my budget almost instantly:) I am almost done now. Trying to get it done by the end of the month to wheel with my Bro for his b-day. Pics and write-up to come.

Nemo, love the cage. What welder are you using?

Looking forward to the pics.

Welder is just a Lincoln 3200HD 110 Volt, .035 flux core wire. I'm working my way up to bottled gas and 220 volt machinery :) .

I couldn't take Crash calling my ass fat any longer. So a little cutting was in order.
i173710805_42754.jpg

The back will be cut about on the middle of the gas fill
i176088661_24624.jpg

A little new tube work, couple links and some shocks with these little red
coils around them and it should be good to go.

David Taylor said:
I couldn't take Crash calling my ass fat any longer. So a little cutting was in order.

A little new tube work, couple links and some shocks with these little red
coils around them and it should be good to go.

:eek:

Holy smokes!!! A little cutting??? Half your rig as I know it is gone!

So Paul is the hold out for linking the rear, or is he following suit and ditching the leafs?

Wow everyone has done work to there rigs!

As some of you know I got an XJ from eric:
47b6df08b3127cce977fc501a81100000016108IasWTVu5aE

I was going to start work on it the other day but I pulled on the passenger handle and it ripped off, so I went back inside and watched tv. :shiver:

I have done lot of junk to my other rig but you all don't give a sheep!

Really nice Cage work Eric!

Letterman said:
I was going to start work on it the other day but I pulled on the passenger handle and it ripped off, so I went back inside and watched tv. :shiver:

I forgot to mention to you about that security feature. In addition to the handle thing, it will throw small bits of glass at your feet once it does open...

Capt. Nemo said:
:eek:

Holy smokes!!! A little cutting??? Half your rig as I know it is gone!

So Paul is the hold out for linking the rear, or is he following suit and ditching the leafs?

No links for me. One of my objectives for the 'buggy run' last month was to really pay attention to the leafs/links thing, by the end of the weekend I was sold on keeping my leafs. I'm actually having Deaver build a new set to the exact same Specs. as my current set but with centered pins.

I am however thinking about coilovers up front for this Summer's project:)

Paul

what sold you for keeping the leafs?

Ramsey said:
what sold you for keeping the leafs?

I will let Paul answer for himself. But for me it isn't that I think links will work any better. If I didn't need to redo the back of mine I would have been very happy to keep them. Since I was starting from scratch I wanted to get a zero departure angle. Time will tell if it's worth all the time and money.

Capt. Nemo said:
Most of the guys that I wheel with regularly consider this time of the year their “rig rehab” time. That time when the holidays are over, taxes are paid, and there are no looming family obligations. That time when we have a little time to get projects done on our rigs that are otherwise put off, or the time that we finally have to get around to routine maintenance as we get ready for the nicer weather and “wheeling season”.

In this spirit, I thought I’d share what I’ve been up to, and hopefully some others will post up with what projects they have going with their rigs.

I’ve been working on my cage, and hopefully will have it completed within the next couple of weeks. I started with a DandC Extreme XJ cage and went from there. I added some cross braces, the angled “RICK XTRM XJ approved” pieces in the cargo area, and tried my best to triangulate without going completely hog wild with the tubing. There are a few more pieces I will be adding (some are indicated by tape – some are in my head), but the majority of it is complete. The entire cage is 1.5”, .120 wall, HREW tubing. Already, the groaning and creaking that the vehicle used to make when I accelerate is gone, and the whole Jeep feels much better as far as rigidity.

So Boatwrench no has his XJ lifted, what has everyone else been working on?

In addition to the cage, my beadlocks are on order and should be here within the next couple of weeks.

Now thats a good lookin cage

I just showed my wife that pic from the back and she goes....."thats ours!".......

that looks so much like mine........well, until I added another 40 feet of unnecessary tubing :)

Rock on, Eric

Rick

A lot of simple projects for me:

Install Atlas (done) and change out clutch slave cylinder.
Build new URF three link to work with new T-case (in-progress).
Build tool drawers and frame for cargo area (nearly done).
Build seat support and cage tie-in for the little guy.
Re-wire Renix system, eliminating excess wiring.
Install York compressor.

Yeah, just a bunch of small things. :rolleyes:

Need to do:
- T-case skid
- replace dented transmission pan
- get a couple more spare front axleshafts

Would be nice to do:
- rock rails/cut and replace rockers
- add some reinforcement to the oil pan
- make at least one more half door

Probably not going to do because it's way down on my priority list:
- get good shocks