• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which header

97xjproject

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking at getting a new header for XJ I like the banks but I really dont like the price any other suggestions. I really dont want to put a stock style back on

APN has the best reputation I have seen.

From personal experience, stay away from Banks Performance. They make great stuff for diesels but suck at making Jeep headers. They have a "No Crack" guarantee and I went through 8 headers and 3 redesigns along the way. I also made sure everything that motor mounts were replaced, transmission mounts were replaced, and I added a flex pipe to the down pipe all to take stress off the header and it still cracked.

APN from ineedparts.com. Replace the motor mounts also.

APN has the best reputation I have seen.

From personal experience, stay away from Banks Performance. They make great stuff for diesels but suck at making Jeep headers. They have a "No Crack" guarantee and I went through 8 headers and 3 redesigns along the way. I also made sure everything that motor mounts were replaced, transmission mounts were replaced, and I added a flex pipe to the down pipe all to take stress off the header and it still cracked.

Man... I'm looking into a BANKs myself and it seems like its a real hit or miss kinda deal. I see lots of praises about how they had them on for years, love the sound, great power yada yada yada. But it seems they have a serious quality control issue because I see an equal amount of " the pos has cracked 3 times" and "yes u get a free replacement, but the labors not free"
sooo ehhhh... Makes me iffy on gettin one even though I found one "used"(NiB) for cheap

Man... I'm looking into a BANKs myself and it seems like its a real hit or miss kinda deal. I see lots of praises about how they had them on for years, love the sound, great power yada yada yada. But it seems they have a serious quality control issue because I see an equal amount of " the pos has cracked 3 times" and "yes u get a free replacement, but the labors not free"
sooo ehhhh... Makes me iffy on gettin one even though I found one "used"(NiB) for cheap

Like I said in my last post I have had 8 different ones since 2006. They went to some kind of equal length tube header for about 4 of them and then they changed to the current one I have now. None have lasted and I swear I have had everything replaced that is supposed to cause a cracked header.

If had to buy another one it would hands down be an APN for quality, reputation, and price. The price is unbeatable from the INeedParts site. $130ish bucks for a header compared to the what $440 for the Banks! APN all the way! My current Banks is cracked and now I have a welder so I'll pull it of and weld it up. If it doesn't hold again then I'll replace it with an APN and take the Banks to the recycler yard and make a little lunch money off of it.

I have a knockoff APN for my jeep and the intake wouldnt clear the header without some work to either the intake or the header. The intake hit on #6 primary tube.
This was on a 99' though.

Last edited:
I picked up the APN Header from Ineedparts.com about a year ago.... didnt even make it that long before it cracked, ....I THINK one of the tubes has separated from the mounting flange, not sure yet. Both the motor mounts and the tranny mount were replaced before/around the same time.
With two weeks before I leave for the Rubicon, i'm faced with two options, try to get a replacement in time, or attempt a weld-up of either the OEM unit or this one and hope for the best.
Just a heads up for those shopping around for headers, I went with the APN because of the reputation too, only having read about a couple people that had issues with them in the past, I too am now one of those people. :(

pop off the header and weld it up if you cant get a replacement in time. one evening and a few beers later and you are done...

2 APN on 2 different XJ's so far, no problems with either one.

Stock 2000 to 2001 header is strong. My stock header has been bullet proof.

Stock 2000 to 2001 header is strong. My stock header has been bullet proof.

That is a cast manifold not a header made of tubing. The pre-2000 "manifold" is built like aftermarket headers made of tubing. The factory had a poor design that would crack at the welds. They later updated the tubing "manifold" design and added expansion joints that would expand and contract with heat that would normally cause the stress to the welds and cause it to crack. While this will fix a Jeep with a cracked "manifold", they can be pricey depending on where you buy them from and they offer no performance benefits.

That is a cast manifold not a header made of tubing. The pre-2000 "manifold" is built like aftermarket headers made of tubing. The factory had a poor design that would crack at the welds. They later updated the tubing "manifold" design and added expansion joints that would expand and contract with heat that would normally cause the stress to the welds and cause it to crack. While this will fix a Jeep with a cracked "manifold", they can be pricey depending on where you buy them from and they offer no performance benefits.

"HEADER" VS. "MANIFOLD".

1. Header--each cylinder has its OWN runner. Manifold the cylinders share runners.

2. A header/manifold can be made out of different materials, but the single/shared runner is what determines which type it is, not the materials.

3. A "performance" header has runners that are all essentially of "equal length". This does not mean "physical" length has to be the same, it is the "effective" length.

Forgive me for being obtuse but is there a an aftermarket manifold for the 2000 that would increase power? Does apn make anything like that? Seems like all the aftermarket exhaust stuff is only for 1999 and below

Back