• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best longarms for Mid-atlantic wheeling?

sunburned

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to upgrade my suspension, but I'm torn between different setups. I have RE short arms now that I'm dragging all over the place, including the LCA mounts. I mostly wheel at Rausch Creek with their crazy pointy rocks, but I'll start going to Gore and Crozet for Big Dogs events and such. Lots of guys on this forum are from the west coast, so I was seeing what the local guys thought of suspension stuff.

I'm not quite advanced enough to fab up my own 3 link or something, so I'm going pre-fab for now. I'm kind of debating between the TnT y-link and the Rock Krawler 3 link. The TnT has way more clearance with the flat belly pan, but the radius arms supposedly have problems with binding and unloading. The RK can flex great, but the brackets sit below the frame, which could be a big problem with clearance over the rocks. I suppose I'll be able to keep my TnT belly pan though. Any advice from you guys that wheel the same places I do?

Oh, I'm running an RE 4.5" lift with 32" tires for now. Probably stepping up to 35's around the same time I change the front suspension, so that gives you an idea of what clearance I have under the belly. I do blues and blacks at RC, so I know how big of a deal belly clearance is.

PS: Or if anyone relatively close to the DC metro area wants to help me fab up a 3-link off the TnT belly pan, I'll be happy to supply help, beer and money :flipoff:

You're going to get so many different opinions on this.

I like my TNT kit quite a bit. The clearance is awesome.

10836_529877584330_41902041_31398854_139811_n.jpg

Never seen radius arms stop someone from doing something, but I've only wheeled a 3-linked rig once and not for very long or on anything challenging.

I run Claytons long arms, and would recommend them to anyone loking for a set of lng arms. Yes the brackets hang lower than the T&T kit (my LCA's and frame mount/tranny mount have taken a SERIOUS beating, and have held up well), but its pure beef. I have been wheeling on the same set for at least 6-7 years now (can't remember how long its been anymore) and have had NO issues at all. I have wheeled 90% of the blacks/reds at RC.

A.

ill be paying close attention to these responses as well i want to go long arms soon

You're going to get so many different opinions on this.

Yeah I figured, but it's nice to get first hand accounts from guys that wheel the same stuff I do. I you all can do the trails I'm talking about without problems with XX setup, then I should be able to as well. I just remember some pretty steep climbs and the 'unloading' factor of the radius arm setups concerns me. I think belly clearance would be a tad more important though, and I know TnT is best for that.

TNT def.

the northeast is all about low COG.

tnt has clurrance, BUT ZOMG UNLOADING

and for the true advantages of a 3 link you need to either run mid-arms, cut up your floor, or run super low clearance arms which are not available on any off the shelf kit.

but i have learned to make obstacles around here you often need momentum and speed, and keeping the rig as low as you can helps keep you on all fours (or 3's ).

I wheel mainly Rausch as well and run the RK 3 link. I have no problems whatsoever with the kit and very rarely drag the mounts. Im running 35's and usually stick to blues and blacks and do fairly well on all trails I run. Im looking into buying my next rig and starting over and am currently stuck between the TnT kit, RK 3 link and hopefully Ballistic will release their kits soon.

I've only had my Clayton long arms for a few months, but so far I love them. They ride super smooth on the road! I've only wheeled with them once so far, but man they worked well. Great flex and super smooth.

I also really like that its a three piece crossmember. You can take out the inner section to work on the tranny/TC without removing the arms. As you can see in the pictures, its pretty easy to add a simple and effective skid plate to the inner piece as well.

Yeah, yeah ... I know they are more expensive than some of the other kits .... but you also get super fast FREE shipping.

IMG_2276.JPG

IMG_2273.JPG

Clayton, there local with awsome products and customer service and as already mentiond fast, free shipping, TNT's clearence is nice but unloads alot and Mopar Maniacs has a ton of wheelhop with his, id never run there arms

Here's a question for those who run Claytons/TnT. B/c they are both radius arm setups, does the Clayton have the unloading issues or binding that people speak of with the TnT kit?

GO GO gadget long arms
vlcsnap-1212047.png
i mean legs!

I run TnT's LA upgrade, and wheel with others that run both TnT's and Clayton's. I've installed my own TnT's and two Clayton kits.

From the install standpoint, Clayton's is much faster and easier to install, hands down. As has been said, clearance wise TnT's is the winner. TnT's also includes the belly pan, which is nice, but it isn't the strongest. Mine now has a significant upward arch to it. Clayton's the skid would need to be figured out separately, but that's not difficult.

That aside, in the actual performance of either kit, I don't think there is any noticeable difference. Wheeling everywhere from New England down to Pennsylvania with guys on both kits, I have never seen someone that did/didn't make something because of who's long arms they were running. Both perform well, and if radius arm is what you're looking for, either one will get the job done.

Just choose one and get wheeling already! :D

Just choose one and get wheeling already! :D

Thanks for the info. Wheeling isn't a problem, I've been doing plenty of that. Just got an ARB in the front end and should be going to Big Dogs this weekend.

I think between the two radius arm setups, I'd be going with TnT. I want the clearance and the big belly pan already made. Plus the have the rear coil conversion that could be an option in the future. If I didn't go with them, I've been looking hard at BDS as well. Definitely a pricey kit, but having a 4 link up front would be great.

there are no perfect off the shelf longarms unfortunately.

Back