• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some recent 4.0L turbo fabrication work...

Boostwerks.com

NAXJA Forum User
I posted these on the Jeepforum, but for those who do not venture over there, here's the pics. :) I am peiceing together complete turbo kit's for the 4.0Ls, and should be done in the next couple weeks. The kit will fit a Garrett 60 trim T3/T4 like the one pictured that is capable of over 400whp (for those with built motors and balls :roll: ).

Well here's the pictures that i promised. Keep in mind that this is a purpose built fabrication manifold, and does in no way represnt the quality of manifolds that I am selling. The one pictured is MIG welded, where as they will be TIG'd. It is mearly the manifold I use for mock up purposes, although it gives you guys an idea of where the turbo will sit, and where the piping will be ran. Unfortunetly, I forgot to take pics of the charge piping, intake tube, and down pipe fabrication, but I will have pics of them soon.

The pics show how the charge piping will wrap around the intake manifold. You can see in previous pics that the intake tube will dip down underneith the engine mount and place a filter where the stock air box rests. The down pipe will also be placed in the stock location.

Let me know what you guys think! I'm always open to new ideas.
(Sorry the pics aren't click free. My site's server is getting worked on apparently)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22017&stc=1&d=1161667554

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22018&stc=1&d=1161667554

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22019&stc=1&d=1161667554

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22020&stc=1&d=1161667572

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22021&stc=1&d=1161667572

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22023&stc=1&d=1161667689

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22024&stc=1&d=1161667689

must log into jeepforum to view those photos.
host them at photobucket or tinypic.

Alright here they are:

Img_1999.jpg

Img_2006.jpg

Img_2000.jpg

Img_2001.jpg

Img_2002.jpg

Img_2003.jpg

Img_2004.jpg

Img_2005.jpg

I like you work and definately am interested in a kit or destructions when you finish everything up. I do have one question, though, will cold water splashing up and hitting the hot cast turbo housing have any effect on it? As far as possible cracking? I am one to stay out of the water and mud, but on some trails up here in the northeast, you can't miss it.

CartsXJ said:
I like you work and definately am interested in a kit or destructions when you finish everything up. I do have one question, though, will cold water splashing up and hitting the hot cast turbo housing have any effect on it? As far as possible cracking? I am one to stay out of the water and mud, but on some trails up here in the northeast, you can't miss it.

Thanks!

Splashing water shouldn't be a problem. A lot of Honda guys daily drive with my manifolds and have never had any problems with water splashing. However...

Driving the turbo'd rig through 5ft of water where it would place the turbo completely under water would definetly cause problems. I am definetly NOT reccomending someone take their setup through deep water. Splashing water isn't much of a problem because the water almost instantly evaporates. If you suddenly submerge a hot turbo or manifold, something is definetly going to crack.

Looks nice. I had plans to go turbo soon also. Still working on getting my programmable fuel controller done first though. I don't know a whole lot about turbos, so forgive if my questions are stupid.

1. I notice when you buy headers, they try to seperate flow and meet at a collector. Does all that go out the window with a turbo? I noticed the turbine inlet was basically between two cylinders, and what I believe is the wastegate whole infront of another cylinder. Will this cause problems with erratic boost pressure, or some cylinders running differently than others.

2. What was the reason for choosing the turbo to go there? What if it could place where the airbox is? Or would that require cutting a whole in the hood(which might still be acceptable).

3. Whats are the reasons to not just bolt a turbo to the bottom of the stock manifold and cut a whole at the collector for wastegate. Don't even know if this is possible.

Bryson said:
Thanks!

Splashing water shouldn't be a problem. A lot of Honda guys daily drive with my manifolds and have never had any problems with water splashing. However...

Driving the turbo'd rig through 5ft of water where it would place the turbo completely under water would definetly cause problems. I am definetly NOT reccomending someone take their setup through deep water. Splashing water isn't much of a problem because the water almost instantly evaporates. If you suddenly submerge a hot turbo or manifold, something is definetly going to crack.

Thats what I thought. I wonder how those turbo systems that, what ever the company is, make that get installed inplace of the muffler. I take it something like that wouldn't be good for our market. I don't plain on doing deep water crossing, but hey you never know when you might get caught in a river. Would it be possible to mount the turbo further up and near where the airbox was?

czb83 said:
Looks nice. I had plans to go turbo soon also. Still working on getting my programmable fuel controller done first though. I don't know a whole lot about turbos, so forgive if my questions are stupid.

1. I notice when you buy headers, they try to seperate flow and meet at a collector. Does all that go out the window with a turbo? I noticed the turbine inlet was basically between two cylinders, and what I believe is the wastegate whole infront of another cylinder. Will this cause problems with erratic boost pressure, or some cylinders running differently than others.

2. What was the reason for choosing the turbo to go there? What if it could place where the airbox is? Or would that require cutting a whole in the hood(which might still be acceptable).

3. Whats are the reasons to not just bolt a turbo to the bottom of the stock manifold and cut a whole at the collector for wastegate. Don't even know if this is possible.

Right on. What fuel controler are you going with? I am most likely going to be using the Splitsec FTC1.

1. To answer that question it's really yes and no. Collectors are always the most important part of a manifold...IF you are looking for the most efficent power out of the setup. The only reason I'm not using one is simply because there isn't enough room. It would also increase the price of the manifolds by a factor of at least 2. On the other hand, the idea of a collector does kind of go out the window. This is because turbo's mainly source their energy from the kinetic pressure and heat in the manifold. Because of this, it doesn't really matter where I place the turbo in the manifold. The cylinders closer to the turbo will of course be slightly more efficent because of the slightly less work required compared to the other cylinders, but it's not much of a difference at all. When it comes down to it, the cylinders are all working to maintain an equal pressure in the log part of the manifold, so the difference is negligable. However, if you were looking for huge power increases, then the cylinder-cylinder difference becomes a potential hinderance opon power. At some point in the future, I will definetly try and fit a manifold with a nice 6-1 collector, but to keep the price down and ensure reliability the log manifold is more than enough. :)

Heres a pic of my honda manifolds that have a 4-1 collector:

manifoldpics023.jpg

manifoldpics008.jpg

2. The reason to go where it is, is because it makes the charge piping, intake tube, and down pipe placement ideal. Also because it's closer to the block there is less vibrational leverage placed upon the manifold, so it will resist cracking a lot better. I definetly didn't want to mount it somewhere which would require modifications to the unibody or exterior. Most people don't like kits that require major modifications to their vehicle. Finally, It's also "sleeper"...hehe. Once everything is installed your really only going to see the intake tube and charge piping. :D

3. Simply put...just not enough room. The turbo would basically sit right ontop of the driveshaft. 505's pos kit places the turbo on the other side of the engine bay by using a down pipe that connects the turbo to the stock manifold. This is a VERY bad design, as that side of the engine bay was never designed to have a source of major heat. It's always better to fit a turbo where the stock manifold is placed.

Right on. What fuel controler are you going with? I am most likely going to be using the Splitsec FTC1.

I built a MegaSquirt controller. I managed to the jeep started for a second, but been to busy to do anything with it lately. I'm trying to figure out a way to split the Hall Sensor outputs between the MS and stock ECU so that the stock ECU can still control things like autoshutdown relay and gauges.

All fab work is being done off my own 99. I tried looking for a person willing to have me build them a complete kit a couple months ago, but since I'm new to the forums there wasn't really any trust. :p

In that case, there isn't a running prototype yet. I am in the process of building a couple customer manifolds, but at this point thats about it. It will be at least a couple months before a setup (either mine or someone elses) is up and running.

Finished up the charge piping and intake tube last night:

Heres the intake tube:

Img_2015.jpg

This is what it will look like from the front:
Img_2017.jpg

And this is what it will look like from the driver side:
Img_2016.jpg

And the charge piping:
Img_2018.jpg

Roughly layed out:
Img_2019.jpg

What it should look like from the drivers side:
Img_2020.jpg

More updates to come soon! Including the DP. ;)

Mike1331 said:
It looks like the driver side upper controll arm will hit the turbo uppon mild articulation.

Yup, it definetly could be a problem. This is why I'm moving the turbo up about an inch from what you see in the picture. It won't be a problem unless you don't have the proper bump stops, and definetly won't be a problem for anyone who has a lift.

Back