• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear check

Erik Litchy

NAXJA Forum User
dana 30

sorry pics suck, the paste is way too thick its like cold butter

ok new pics
this is the first setup, meaning this prabably isnt close but it doenst match the book too well.

I say the pinion is too deep... Move it out about .005", reset BL, run another pattern, and this time try to put a pretty good load on the ring ear and turn the pinion. I usually use the handle of a 5lb sledge wedged between the ring gear and the case to get some resistance on it to get a decent pattern

Is that a low pinion D30? If not you are tagging your pics wrong. You need to figure out how to run a better pattern before you mess around too much more.

Is that a low pinion D30? If not you are tagging your pics wrong. You need to figure out how to run a better pattern before you mess around too much more.

oh sorry
well at this point whats your guess

Last edited:
oh sorry
well at this point whats your guess

my guess is that you need to hit the "ENTER" key in between the pics. i am too fawking lazy to scroll to the side.

my guess is that you need to hit the "ENTER" key in between the pics. i am too fawking lazy to scroll to the side.

hey buddy it may be easier if you came over and saw them in person then :wave1:

I say you still need to move the pinion out a tad more...Try another .002", reset BL and run it again...You are getting a mutch better pattern with more pressure...Honestly, I have never had to thing marking compound. I usually try to apply as much counter-rotational force to the ring gear and turn the pinion by hand...On big axles I use 2 hammer handles wedged in there and have another person turn the pinion

Pinion is still too deep. Remove more shims.

When I'm roughing in a new pattern I like to put a wrench on a ring gear bolt and whizz the carrier through the pinion. Because you're overdriving the pinion that way, it induces enough drag to leave a decent read. When it's about perfect then I do the way others have mentioned, turning the pinion instead of the ring gear as a final check.

URL=http://upshizzle.com]
IMG_2014.jpg

[/URL]

removed .002
man this camera sucks at picking foucs points
backlash is a bit tight on this quick setup

Last edited:
Back