• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New concept paint ideas. What do you think?

Hubbazoot

NAXJA Forum User
So I want to blend in this front end I got (I had to replace it after a front-end collision) but I don't want to have to paint the whole jeep. I came up with three kind of concept designs. Other variants I was considering was keeping the white in line with the kicker panel for the entire length of the kicker panel, even when it went over the fenders. Any feedback/adjustment ideas greatly appreciated.

Back fender not painted completely
paintprototype1.jpg

Back fender completely painted
paintprototype2.jpg

I'd just man up and paint it all. Either go to ur local stealership with your paint code and try to get some rattlecans/get duplicolor and paint the front silver, probably only take a day with prep. or paint the rest white...which i wouldnt do at all. those options all look ugly and booty-fabbed:moon: IMO. But, its your jeep, and it doesnt matter what i think.

Yeah these ideas were trying to make the best of a bad situation for a color scheme. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm thinking maybe either a digital camo pattern with a winter camouflage color scheme similar to this guy (Yeah I know it's a little tuner, but it's good inspiration):
l_edeead304b033ec4f5f1870c2c8673e2.jpg

Anyone have some examples of rattlecan camo patterns or who could photoshop my jeep with a winter urban camo pattern? Here's a base image of my current body paint:
paintprototypebase.jpg

hub- um, eeewwwwwwwww. why not just paint the white parts silver? even if its a rattle can or macco job

Spend a weekend doing trim removal and surface prep yourself and then go get the $300 Maaco paint job. Paint it silver again and you'll be much happier than some goofy camo job that seemed like a good idea at the time...... until the girls started pointing and laughing......

Maaco shoots a cheap but decent paint job. The quality of the results can be improved with a bit of your own effort. Most issues with their paint jobs are the adhesion in the corners and lower parts of the body where their prep guys are too lazy to spend the time and attention.

You just CANNOT expect the best paint job and only pay $300. Unless there's huge runs, massive overspray or thin spots, you really shouldn't complain..... it'll be one color - and look fairly good for the investment.

After all......it's a Jeep...... you're gonna scratch it anyway. :thumbup:

The Maaco in Denver at 2424 E. Colfax has treated me very well on a couple projects.

The Maaco in Littleton off Blakeland and Santa Fe has a prick for a general manager and I'll never do business with them again.

Spend a weekend doing trim removal and surface prep yourself and then go get the $300 Maaco paint job. Paint it silver again and you'll be much happier than some goofy camo job that seemed like a good idea at the time...... until the girls started pointing and laughing......

Maaco shoots a cheap but decent paint job. The quality of the results can be improved with a bit of your own effort. Most issues with their paint jobs are the adhesion in the corners and lower parts of the body where their prep guys are too lazy to spend the time and attention.

You just CANNOT expect the best paint job and only pay $300. Unless there's huge runs, massive overspray or thin spots, you really shouldn't complain..... it'll be one color - and look fairly good for the investment.

After all......it's a Jeep...... you're gonna scratch it anyway. :thumbup:

The Maaco in Denver at 2424 E. Colfax has treated me very well on a couple projects.

The Maaco in Littleton off Blakeland and Santa Fe has a prick for a general manager and I'll never do business with them again.
Thanks for the advice troy. I may just rattlecan the thing myself and do the entire thing just a matte silver. I'm either thinking this right now, or else maybe do a shades of black digi camo design. The goal is to make the project cost as little as possible.

Here's an example of the scallops treatment. You're already white up front, just carry the scallops into the front doors, or make 'em long and continue down the body. Do just a couple, or several scallops.

0708_mopp_01_z_+dodge_charger+modified.jpg

Here's an example of the scallops treatment. You're already white up front, just carry the scallops into the front doors, or make 'em long and continue down the body. Do just a couple, or several scallops.
I'll test it out, I'm working on my dark digital camo mock-up right now. It's actually coming out semi-decent. I'll look at the scallops after I finish.

The question is...what's going to match that pink diffo cover? ;)

Still working on the digital camo idea (I LURV MS PAINT!!) and the more I'm doing the more I like it. I'm going with a fairly dark scheme of black and some dark greys. It's coming out pretty well but just very labor-intensive (which means I can only imagine how friggin long it's going to take to paint it if I actually do it.) As for the scallops idea, here's a pretty rough mock-up that came up:
attachment.php

I'm thinking maybe not doing the A frame up above the window if I do that.

Here's what I have of the digital camo pattern. I'm starting to get lazy with it, but it's at least enough to get the gist of what I'm going for. The end result I was thinking of it being "shades" of black.
paintprototype4.jpg

Scallops:
paintprototype5.jpg

....and one more. For this one, I'm thinking probably coming down at a straight line (in line with the edge of the fender) until I come in line with the top of the paint on the back fender.
paintprototype7.jpg

Just did this, tried blending with a similar fender design in front as in back, but still painting the back lower fender and kicker panel.
paintprototype8.jpg

The only conclusion I can possibly draw from this "experiment" is that white/silver don't mix well. I'm thinking I should (*squirms*) just put some time into painting the whole thing matte silver...

Last edited:
It doesn't have to be rattle can. Whatever you do, paint prep - detrimming, sanding, spot glaze, all has to happen anyway.

Buutttt, you might consider Rustoleum on a roller. It will get you good results sanding between coats, doesn't need primer, and you get to tape off lightly because there is zero over spray.

Whatever you choose, white and silver is a tough combo to work with.

To be honest, I think the white and silver, in every mock up, look like like garbage. I think they are complete contrasts and don't complement each other at all. If it were black and silver or maybe blue, it might fly, but I think the white is just going to hinder everything in the end.

To be honest, I think the white and silver, in every mock up, look like like garbage. I think they are complete contrasts and don't complement each other at all. If it were black and silver or maybe blue, it might fly, but I think the white is just going to hinder everything in the end.
I have some more ideas for this yet... and I'm starting to explore other color variants. It's looking more and more like I'll just leave it alone and just let this thing evolve into a very nice toy (which it basically is) and leave it at that.

Back