• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will these leaf spring clamps help my flex or ride?

oldmustangjunkie

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a set of these the other day and wondered if they would be useful on my 99XJ. It has stock rear leafs that have a full length AAL added to them. I'll put them in if I can get better flex or ride quality out of them.

acc_alignclamp.jpg

The bottom ones will, the top ones won't.

Hallo. Nice looking clamps.
I think they are not influence the ride or flex. If you like too flex a little bit more, lube your leafs, so there is less friction between them. :wave1:

p.s. where can you bye these clamps? Maybe you can make them yourself?

'92 XJ

To clarify, I have the bottom clamps. I'm going to keep my leaf spring setup now since I want to maintain good handling and acceptable trail performance. This Jeep does mainly towing (ATV/SXS) and some light offroading. I occasionally go for a challenging offroad cruise in it. I just wondering if it would be worth it to install the bolt on style leaf spring clamps or if I would be wasting my time.

wim--http://www.bds-suspension.com/products/acc_hendricksclamps.php
justkain--tell me more about these revolver shackles.

Thanks Oldmustangjunkie: Hendricks Clamps

Description
Part # (4/pkg)
Price Ea Quan
2" Wide Spring Clamp 228007 $7.87
2.5" Wide Spring Clamp 228008 $8.22
3" Wide Spring Clamp 228009 $8.55
2.5" Bolt Type Spring Clamp 228010 $24.10
3" Bolt Type Spring Clamp 228011 $34.24

Well. Not very cheap, aren't they? Maybe I make them myself, because there is also a cost for shipping to Europe. :lecture:

XJ leaves are 2.5" wide. I saw the homebrew clamps but I don't have a shop to work out of. I paid ~35 shipped for 4 clamps. It looks like they won't help me flex or ride better, huh...

XJ leaves are 2.5" wide. I saw the homebrew clamps but I don't have a shop to work out of. I paid ~35 shipped for 4 clamps. It looks like they won't help me flex or ride better, huh...

depends which ones you got. a clamp isnt going to help ride quality- it would help flex if anything. if you got the bolt style it will help your flex.

Nope. Adding clamps can't possibly help flex, all they can do is hinder it. On the other hand, appropriately sized and placed clamps will keep the spring from hurting itself with too much flex.

Nope. Adding clamps can't possibly help flex, all they can do is hinder it. On the other hand, appropriately sized and placed clamps will keep the spring from hurting itself with too much flex.
If he's replace the stock style(wraps completely around the springs) it will definately help with flex by allowing the spring pack to "open" up.

If he's replace the stock style(wraps completely around the springs) it will definately help with flex by allowing the spring pack to "open" up.

That's what I'd like to do exactly. So they WILL help flex? I've got a few different answers so far. You guys fight to the death and I'll check back later and see who the victor is.

I didn't follow all the links to various clamps, but back to your original question. Better ride and flex come from letting the spring move freely, so limiting friction. That's why you never put in a leaf that doesn't have plastic friction pads on the ends (never seen an add-a-leaf come with friction pads) unless you use a full length liner. You also keep the spring eye bolts snug but not tight, you should be able to turn the bolt with an end wrench when it's tight. And, you don't use the type of spring clamps, like the top ones in the pic you posted, because they hold the leaves together, and if you put them on real loose they rattle. The bottom clamps in the pic, or that style anyway, hold the leaves from sliding sideways but don't hold the leaves together, except they will keep the leaves from spreading too far apart and damaging the springs, or loosing traction on steep climbs by not limiting axle wrap and not letting the leaf spring transfer the torque/traction well. Remember, the leaf spring is also acting as a control arm to locate the axle and transfer torque, so if the spring is too loose and flexy it doesn't do it's job well. The bottom type of clamp should have some room at the top to let the spring work, but not too much room.

Hope that answers your question. :)

Back