• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with steering knuckle

squirrel80

NAXJA Forum User
So last night was a rough one in the garage. I got my taper ream for my 1 ton tie rod ends and was going to put my drag link together. I was trying to flip the drag link on top of the knuckle side for a high steer. It started with drilling out and tapering the stock pitman arm which went well and then I moved on to the passenger side knuckle. Well to make a long story short I reamed to much on the knuckle(that metal is much softer than the pitman in case you didn't know). So here are my options drill the knuckle more and use a 3/4" heim. I already have the 1 ton tierod ends and am using the same ones on my tie rod, so it would be nice if it was all the same. Change the knuckle with a new one from the dealer. Or if someone has any resorce at jeep and can tell if the JK Dana 44 knuckle is the same as a JK Dana 30. My friend just upgraded his JK to Mopar Rubicon axles and has a Dana 30 laying around. Mine problem is for an XJ with JK Dana 44s.

I would not drill it out to 3/4", there will not be enough material left for sutible strength. The threads are not the same between the 1 ton TRE's and your basic heim joint.

The JK stuff wont work IIRC. I would do WJ D30 knuckles, with the JKS spacer kit. Gives you bigger breaks and crossover(?) steering.

Or get another D30 knuckle from a used axle, dont ream too far, and call it good. I wouldnt waste my time on buying one new from the dealer. Hell, I can ship you one if need be.

I would not drill it out to 3/4", there will not be enough material left for sutible strength. The threads are not the same between the 1 ton TRE's and your basic heim joint.

The JK stuff wont work IIRC. I would do WJ D30 knuckles, with the JKS spacer kit. Gives you bigger breaks and crossover(?) steering.

Or get another D30 knuckle from a used axle, dont ream too far, and call it good. I wouldnt waste my time on buying one new from the dealer. Hell, I can ship you one if need be.

I think he's saying he has JK D44s under his XJ?

ive been there man, I used one of the one ton joints to ream out the passenger side knuckle, and the actual tre I put in there some how was slightly smaller then the one I measured with and the whole was too big. hhaah. Just so you know, the dealer knuckles cost $345, and I believe thats wholesale too.

Go to a junk yard and pull one off a cherokee, or even a grand cherokee up to 95 i beleive. Costed me $45.

Do you work at a dealer? Anyway to find out if the part number for the '08 JK Rubicon Dana 44 passanger side knuckle is the same as the Non Rubicon JK Dana 30? If no how much for the Dana 44 knuckle? PM me if you want.

That was when I was still assuming you had a D30 under your junk.

I only have XJ D30 knuckles. I would call the dealer and ask if they are the same part number.

I would call the dealer and ask if they are the same part number.

My dealer is not much help. Anyone have a decent dealer to work with in parts? Mine wants a VIN number to look up anything. I almost have to go down there and get VINs off Jeeps on their lot to get anything looked up. They are great if I'm doing something for the stock parts on my XJ but there is not many of those left.

Back