• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Over the knuckle steering stuff

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I hope Rob doesn't mind, I'd rather answer his PM in the forums so the info is available. He's asked some good questions.

nhrocker said:
I'm in the process of researching new steering for my D30. I've been running the Currie setup for a while now........TRE's are all in need of replacement and for not much more than the prices they want for them I can go with a full width tie rod and QA1 rod ends.

From searching it seems you seem to have the most valuable input on OTK knuckle setups. I'm looking at going with a setup you described. It was OTK rod ends on spacers with the drag link mounted vertically to tabs on top of the tie rod. I'd like to do similar with the additions of a hydro assist ram but had a few questions.

I've had two steering designs on the XJ, the D30 had small spacers to raise it up some and was an inverted Y design, with the drag link going from the pitman arm to the pass knuckle. The later design on the D44 was an inverted T with the tie rod knuckle to knuckle and the drag link attaching to tabs on the top of the tie rod. Here's a link to the album with some pics of both setups.
http://fototime.com/inv/C466180E77AACF4

nhrocker said:
You mentioned using 5/8" bore rod ends. Were the tapered holes from the TRE's small enough to drill the knuckles and pitman to 5/8", or did you have to drill to 3/4" and use spacers?

I just drilled them to 5/8", which works with the small Jeep taper.

nhrocker said:
For the drag link to pitman connection, did you find that you needed high misalignment spacers to allow enough downward travel of the end with it laid flat, or were standard cone spacers sufficient? I can't see a need for high mis. anywhere else but possibly that one spot.

On the pitman arm for both setups I kept the stock tie rod end. It didn't work that well on the D44 setup since the axle had more down travel, and would wear out the TRE prematurely. I fixed it by putting a very slight bend in the drag link at the pitman arm, and haven't worn out a TRE since. Of course, I went out and bought a 20mm 1.5 tap that most might not do, but they're not expensive from Enco.com. On the D30 inverted Y setup I kept the stock adjustment collar to center the steering, on the inverted T setup you rotate the drag link.

On the buggy I used a 3/4 rod end with misalignment spacers down to a 5/8" bolt. I originally had TRE's on all the buggy steering, using the Tera large TRE's that keep the small Jeep taper, but I ditched it all and went to rod ends for simplicity. Oh, I also used 5/8" F911 bolts on all the steering ends, torqued to 250'.

nhrocker said:
My thoughts were to make a clamp-on sleeve with tabs to mount the tie rod end of the ram, did you do that with the drag link as well to allow toe adjustment? Is there a better way to mount it and still allow adjustment that I'm missing?

I use a QA1 double adjuster where appropriate, part number ADJ12-12. I didn't know about them when I did the XJ steering, but later went back and changed it. It's a right hand/left hand male/female piece that allows you to use right hand thread rod ends on both ends, and you just turn the adjuster to set the toe or center the steering. With the inverted T on the XJ I use one at the driver side knuckle to set the tow, on the buggy with inverted Y steering I use one at the pitman arm to center the steering.

By using one of those adjusters, you can go ahead and weld tabs onto the steering link for the ram with no concerns for having to rotate the link for adjustments. On the XJ inverted T the ram mounts to tabs on the back side tie rod. On the buggy the ram is behind the axle on a double ended high steer arm.

nhrocker said:
On the topic of weld in threaded bungs vs. tapping the tube directly I know you mentioned you prefer tapping directly but that the end of the tube must be perfectly square for the lock nut to seat against. If I were to tap direct, would it be reasonable to thread a bolt into the tapped tube with a spare nut on it, adjust the nut directly against the tube, and weld it there? That would give me a square end for the lock nut to seat against, as well as a hex end on the tube to grab with a wrench if needed to loosen the end in the future.

Yes, that's a pretty good idea. Just don't tighten the nut before you weld it so the threads are true. I'll use either threaded inserts or tap it myself, but I prefer to tap it since that way you can use smaller size heavy wall tubing. Poly Performance sells .281 wall DOM with 11/16" ID so you can tap it to 3/4"16 thread, and they sell it by the foot. It's great stuff for steering links, tough as you'll ever want.

nhrocker said:
The spacers you made to raise the tie rod further, would those really need to be turned on a lathe or would cutting them to length and grinding the taper on the top be good enough? Either that or welding a standard cone spacer on top of a shorter section of the tubing? Also did you weld that spacer to the knuckle? Did you see any issues with the increased leverage on the arm of the knuckle from using the spacers like that?

I guess that's enough questions for now... :laugh3: Just trying to get this all ordered/built correctly so I only have to do it once. :wave1:

Thanks for your time and any help, hints, or tips you can give!

Rob

I made my spacers myself, but I had 5/8" ID DOM tubing at that time. I used 5/8" ID tubing and drilled it out to 11/16" to tap the 3/4" threads. I didn't like doing it that way without a lathe to get it perfectly straight, so next time I ordered 11/16" ID tubing and didn't have to drill it. I ground the taper myself, but you could also weld on a cone washer. I didn't weld the spacers to the knuckle, I think that could weaken the metal. My spacers were 1 1/16" tall, as tall as I could go and still clear the inside of the rim. With that short a spacer I wasn't concerned with bending the knuckle.

One comment on steering strength. There was a very good discussion recently about bolt strength. It was pointed out by some legit engineering types that a bolted joint's strength comes from the friction between the mating surfaces, not on the sheer strength of the bolt. Most bolt failures occur because the bolts weren't torqued tight enough. So, on steering use grade 8 or F911 bolts and torque them properly, around 220' on a grade 8 5/8" and 250' on an F911 5/8". And check them now and then.

holy long post. awesome info though. :cheers:

Her are a couple of pics of my steering. It's below the knuckle, but very beefy. Now that it is fully set up I have proper length bolts. 3/4 ends except @ pitman arm which is 5/8.

flex.jpg

steering.jpg

Yep

I wish that I had more pictures with me, but I don't. I won't have access to them for quite a while. I'd be more than happy to answer questions though.

I did manage to find a better picture of my set up.

IMG_0251.jpg

That set up looks exactly like the one I had built for my 44 swap. Mine came from Rusty's and it is solid. I had to replace all the bolts with longer ones because they were all a little short for the 44 knuckles.

I did manage to bend the crap out of the tie-rod in 4-low going pretty slow, so I'm on my second tie-rod.

Not a DD, no highway time. For what I need it works perfectly. I have experienced DW with the wheels full of mud @ about 35 mph.

Fawk, I start a post about over the knuckle steering, and now it's all about under the knuckle crossover steering. For the record, I think that steering design is a waste of time and effort. The idea is to get the steering up higher for more clearance and less chance of bending it on rocks. There are particular issues about doing OTK that don't apply when you do a simple under the knuckle crossover design. Nothing wrong with a simple crossover design, and they will work well, but the tie rod is even lower than stock and subject to damage if you regularly wheel in rocks. Don't tell me you've never bent it, that only shows how much exposure it's had.

The name of this thread is OVER the knuckle steering............ :D

Goatman said:
I hope Rob doesn't mind, I'd rather answer his PM in the forums so the info is available. He's asked some good questions.
I definitely don't mind at all. I had gathered quite a bit of information from different posts you and others had made, but this really helps wrap up what I was still unclear about. Thanks for the link to the pics as well.

Do you buy your taps locally or online? I found this site which seemed to have decent prices and both LH and RH available:
RH tap, LH tap

When using the adapter, ADJ12-12, you mention using two right hand thread rod ends. That leads me to believe the female end of the adapter has RH threads, correct? So the only LH rod end needed would be for one end of the drag link (doing inverted T, rotating drag link to adjust wheel center, rotating adapter to adjust toe).

Goatman said:
The name of this thread is OVER the knuckle steering............ :D
Well, not everyone can read... :read: :shhh:

asp387 said:
holy long post. awesome info though.
And he even condensed what I said some... :laugh3: A lot of great info though, hopefully it'll help others as well.

nhrocker said:
Do you buy your taps locally or online?

When using the adapter, ADJ12-12, you mention using two right hand thread rod ends. That leads me to believe the female end of the adapter has RH threads, correct? So the only LH rod end needed would be for one end of the drag link (doing inverted T, rotating drag link to adjust wheel center, rotating adapter to adjust toe).

The place I've been getting taps is Enco.com, pretty good prices and they ship right away.

Yes, as far as I remember, the female threads of the double adjuster are RH.

One thing I didn't mention is that inverted T works the best when the angle of the drag link isn't very much. With more angle there is more pushing down on the tie rod, which causes the tie rod to rotate and if there's enough angle can cause a slight dead spot. With less angle the drag link pushes more sideways with less tendancy to roll the tie rod. If the angle is shallow, the tie rod can still flop side to side some but there's no dead spot, just a clack as it bottoms the rod ends. I have no dead spot in my inverted T, but that's with high steer arms on the D44, and I do offset the rod ends a little on the tie rod to reduce the clacking.

On the D30 OTK setup there was more angle, and I used an inverted Y which won't have a dead spot since the drag link goes straight to the knuckle. On the buggy, the axle is moved forward 4" which creates clearance problems between the pitman arm and the tie rod, so I have a nearly flat pitman arm. That makes for more angle on the drag link and I used an inverted Y, so my steering is very precise.

Some people unknowingly talk bad about inverted Y steering, but I like it. It's like having leaf springs and wanting coils, or having coils and going to leaves, some folks want to ditch the inverted Y and many times it's just to make a change.

Goatman said:
The place I've been getting taps is Enco.com, pretty good prices and they ship right away.
Looks like they've got THIS for LH. For RH they've got a Spiral Point or a normal 4 flute. Which style will do better in this application? Do you think it's worth picking up one of These?

Goatman said:
Some people unknowingly talk bad about inverted Y steering, but I like it. It's like having leaf springs and wanting coils, or having coils and going to leaves, some folks want to ditch the inverted Y and many times it's just to make a change.
In my case I liked the inverted Y with the Currie system. It held up very well to XJ_ranger and myself over the past few years (hm, maybe even more than that). But with the addition of a ram either now or in the near future it'll wear out the Currie TRE/DRE's faster. I think the rod ends will hold up a bit better, and when I do need to replace them it's a LOT cheaper to replace them. I can get all four rod ends for cheaper than just the pair of TRE's. I'll also be gaining ground clearance by the knuckles and lessening the angles of my steering.

I used the normal 4 flute one, never used one of those other kind. I always just used a crescent wrench for mine, but tap holder could be handy and easier to use.

Inverted T is pretty simple, and could be a little easier to set up for hydro assist. Depends on where you put things.

Figured I should come back and update this thread seeing that I went ahead and built my OTK setup last year.

All tube is 1.25"od 5/16" wall DOM, direct tapped for the 3/4"thread, 5/8"bore QA1 hiems/adjusters. Tabs welded on are Spidertrax link tabs with integrated misalignment spacers.
IMG_4779.jpg

Stock XJ vs. stock TJ pitman arm. I wanted things as high and tight to the rig as possible, and was paying CLOSE attention to my angles and lengths.
IMG_4667.jpg

Forgot to take pics of it right after installation. I was in a rush to get it out of the borrowed driveway and to my new house. This was taken during the winter when someone wanted to see it.
IMG_5626.jpg

IMG_5633.jpg

Hard to tell in those pics, but the tie rod sits completely above the height of the axle tubes. It's OTK with tall misalignment spacers getting it a little higher. I had to do new coil and track bar mounts to get everything to clear. Coils now sit 1.25" (if I'm remembering correctly) higher than before and the tie rod goes partially under them when at full lock. Drag link and track bar are the same length, and are almost parallel. With no steering stabilizer and no sway bars I've had it up to 65mph and even over bumps with no problems. Because of the low angles it's at I also decided to not even bother with the hydro ram I have sitting here. With 33's in the rocks I could still go lock to lock with fingertips. Since then I've swapped to 35's, fresh pump w/PSC undersized pulley, and a junkyard steering box (old one locked up 4 months ago and I've yet to drive it again since). I'm anxious to see how it does on the 35's.

Back