• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E-Locker with 28 spline vs. 30 spline LSD

XJinWork

NAXJA Forum User
I'm laying out my first XJ build. I've searched and read countless hours on the 8.8 swap. But, as always, there's a "yet to be answered" question/opinion.

I currently have a '91 Bronco with an Eaton E-Locker, 28 splines 8.8. I'd like to save the locker as it's less than two years old. I've read that 8.8's can be had with 31 spline and limited slip. I don't plan on extreme 4 wheeling but do plan on harder than the D35 and D30 can handle. (Note: I've been offered a rebuildable D44 front axle for cheap.)

Planning: 4.5" lift (w/new leafs) and 33x10.5 tires

Here's my question: Would you run 28 spline with the locker if you already had the $800+ locker?

No.

I'd sell it to a ranger kid on one of the desert sites, and buy a 31 spline 8.8 to build correctly.

If you are actually going to stay with 33s...grab a 29-spline 8.25, it's bolt in.

'96+ with a 4 cyl 5-spd combo for factory 4.10s as well. No need to regear the rear.

4LowandGo said:
That is my opinion at least.
And that's what I'm looking for; Honest opinions, maybe with some suggestions, I can gleen info. I'd rather learn here than on a trail.

Thanks!

MoparManiac said:
If you are actually going to stay with 33s...grab a 29-spline 8.25, it's bolt in.

'96+ with a 4 cyl 5-spd combo for factory 4.10s as well. No need to regear the rear.

some 96's came with a 27 spline... so look out. i don't know of any way to tell other than counting them either.

that's a tough choice, i think for the $, i'd do the 29 spline swap and regear to 4.56. getting one out of a 97+ is guaranteed to be 29 spline, they can be found for about 150 in the classifieds and i don't think i'd run 4.10 and 33s, i would want as much gear as possible. depends on which transmission you have too... the ax15 is geared a little lower than the aw4 so any gear will feel lower in the manual than with the same xj with a aw4. if you sell the locker, you could easily profit from it and put that $ toward other xj parts... i think that's what i'd do... :dunno:

Back