• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help on setting up a D30

trail rate this

NAXJA Forum User
I got a set of 4.10 gears from a late 80's XJ D30. They don't just drop in my 98' housing. I need to add shims to the ring gear side of the carrier to bring the ring gear closer to the pinion. I do not the tools to properly press the bearings on and off.

I have heard the shims from a D35 are the same as a D30. The difference is where they are installed. Between the bearing and the carrier on the D30, and between the bearing and the housing on the D35.

The carrier fits snugg in the housing but not tight, it takes no effort to put it in. Can I just add shims between the bearing and the housing to correct this?

I'm going to suggest that you take this somewhere to get it set up correctly....just based on what you wrote in your post and the questions you are asking.

IIRC, we did that when I helped my buddy set up his 8.8....but dont quote me on that...I might be mistaken. At the time, it was my first gear install...

trail rate this said:
Thank you for the replys. I will try it. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Correct me if i'm wrong.. i dont see how you'll get the shims positioned right. (i'm about to attempt my first setup)

The ID of the shims would be larger than the ends of the carrier obviously, now when trying to put them on the outside of the bearing the axleshaft OD will be much smaller than the shim ID.. i see the shims spitting out and probably deforming when installing the carrier.

Or is there a flaw in my thinking?

Back