• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dodge van Spring Write up

2000bluexj

NAXJA Forum User
As we all know, the shackle angle on a cherokee sucks after we lift. It points straight towards the ground. This does not help fles in any way shape or form. So i started reading. found some people that have relocated their shackle mount down and forward a bit for a better angle. Not bad, but i didnt really want to fab anything to do this as my welding isnt good enought for me to trust it on my suspension. I also reafd about people using longer springs. F150 springs work but again you have to relocate the front mount. Then i found a thread about using dodge van leaf springs. According to general spring and my trusty tape measure they are exaclty the same distance from the front eye to the centerpin as the cherokee. Not that exciting huh? Well the good part is they are about 2.5 inches longer from the center pin to the rear eye than the cherokee. Well, this increase in length will remedie my problem with my shackle angle and is a bolt in solution. I wen searching and yesterday found a pair from a 96 dodge 2500 van, so i called to let them know i would come get them. I got the springs today and took them apart. They are sitting on the bench waiting for me to get to work. My current springs are 3.5" inch rubicon express springs that came in the lift kit. My plan is to swap both main springs to get that ideal shackle angle which will help in ride and flex. Then tune the pack for what i want after i reinstall it. I dont have pictures now, but will get some sat when i work on it some more. Stay Tuned......

I have a set of these springs sitting in the barn for just that purpose.

jeepcomj said:
I have a set of these springs sitting in the barn for just that purpose.
Pictures will be up later after work. I have to do some errands first today like getting the correct bushing for the springs. These are the newer style with the oval bushing in front, so i need to find those. I have to order a pair of rubicone express boomerangs so hopefully by the end of the week? Maybe?

lol. yup, same style I've got. what did you pay for yours? I'm looking to get rid of mine...less than 10,000 miles on them.

Cant wait to see the pics this might be something I have to do since I dont have access to a shop right now to build my shackle relocation brackets.

I have these springs in my 90xj and love them. I used the van plus stock MJs minus overloads for about 3-3 1/2" of lift. Also use the mid 90s gm truck shackles for a little more flex.

yellowta said:
All they are using is the main to get the added length, the rest of the pack is what determines the stiffness in this circumstance I think.

Oh. Still, you can pull the original short leaf and reduce the rate (and make it less stiff,) no?

Just a dumb idea...

Well, got a little more done today. Forgot the camera :doh: Nothing much done anyway, i dont think you guys want to see me wire wheelin all the crap off, cleaning them up with some phosphoric acid metal prep and priming them. Kinda boring. The plan is use the van main for the added length and go from there. I may cut down the van overload and use it kind of as a "block" to get any lift back which i dont think will be a problem as i ordered a set of 1.5 inch lift boomers from RE which are a half inch longer than the current ones i have on right now. I also ordered new center pins and ubolts. If it is too soft i will add, If its too stiff i will minus. Its all in tuning i think. We will see how it goes. Hopefully i will be done for the gutter on the 12th and get to test them out to see how they do. I have to head up to the shop tomorrow night after work, ill grab a few pictures.

It will be cool to see this, i have a set of low mileage 99 xj springs taken apart that i was going to add s10 springs to for a bit of lift, then i herd about this and i was curius enough to just let them sit a year instead.

Sorry to jump in on this thread again but i am fighting the notorius rear sag because of add-a-leafs and stock springs. I have two inch lift shackles installed and my angle as everyone knows is way off. I was thinking about getting the Van main leaf and using it with my stock cherokee springs and a new set of full length add-a-leafs. If I used a set of 3.5" add a leafs how much lift to think I would get. What do yall think about that idea. I can get the add-a-leafs for $60 from Rustys and the main springs for cheap at the local salvage yard and it would be a cheap fix til I have the money to buy the actual spring packs. Oh I meant to say that I had a set of factory 93 cherokee springs gave to me that have not been wheeled on and came off of a stock jeep so I would use those and not my shot pack thats on the jeep now.

damn... I have a line on a set of 1998 van leafs... anyone have specs on these? I'm having difficulty finding info?

I really hope that they aren't any different :(

Back