• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hatchless daily driver?

Timber

NAXJA Forum User
I was on a recent snow run and smashed my tailgate ('99) by sliding backwards down a hill into a tree, and I've decided to go hatchless. The only problem with that is it's my D.D. and I have two small kids. How can I seal off the "real" interior from the hatch? I saw a pic. of Jes's once that looked like he had a Wrangler windjammer strapped to his cage tubes. I could probably go that route, but I was wondering about any other ideas.

The rear side windows have already been replaced with removable plexi, and I was eventually going to do the same with the hatch glass. I simply don't want to deal with buying a new hatch or trying to undent the current one.

Any ideas?

A couple of guys that had cut down the rear had vinyl windbreaks made that went behind the seats. Any upholstery shop could easily make one, then lace it around the edges. Paul S did this, and so did Porch Puppy.

You could also get a canvas one made with a vinyl window in it and then rivet snaps onto the back of the Jeep. You definitely need something so that your kids don't asphyxiate on the exhaust fumes though.

Those are the lines I've been thinking of, guys. Thanks. As for keeping stuff in the back, I'm leaning toward fabbing up a Tiregate-type "tailgate." My main concerns with the XJ are its drivetrain, functionality, and most importantly keeping my kids safe.

Just so you know, I'm not terribly concerned with its looks, but I don't want it looking like total ass, either.
img_0001-1.jpg

Only problem with that is it turns into a vacuum. Exhaust gets pretty bad, even without doors the fumes are pretty strong, dont even think about driving in the rain unless you wear a slicker.

While that hasn't been a problem yet, with the rear side windows out, it may be one with the hatch gone. That's another reason I'm trying to come up with ideas for a divider of some sort.

I'd love to chop it, but I definitely don't have the skill to make pretty welds in sheetmetal. Also, I'd constantly worry about what my insurance company would try to pull if I ever got into an accident.

I used to drive a 94 Geo Tracker softtop. In the manual it said never to run with the back window open and the windows up or else exhaust could get sucked in. I lost my back window and during the winter months (all 2 of em in the AZ desert) I'd have my windows up quite often with no back window, and I don't think I'm too brain damaged. :D

If I go with one of those Wrangler "windjammers," which Wrangler model will best fit the inside dimensions of an XJ? I'm not very familiar with Wranglers, but I'd think one for a four-door JK would fit best. I'll just weld some tabs where needed to strap it in, I guess, and then fab up some kind of tailgate to keep stuff in and people out.

Back