• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rustys lifts

paroxysym

NAXJA Forum User
i was wondering what the general concensus is on rustys lift kits. im looking to do a 3" on a dd and the price of a rustys kit, compared to a OME kit is a nice gap. i wont run his shocks cause i heard they are kind of harsh- but what about his coils and leaf packs? any problems? how do you like them? thanks for your help guys. appreciate it.

Do a search and you will find alot of threads comparing lift kits.

But for now, in my experience, stay away from the Rusty's AALs (add-a-leafs) because they will eventually sag or give very easily to weight. I have had 2 Jeeps with Rusty's AALs and I hate them. I go camping alot and when I would throw in gear and even only two additional people the Jeep almost didn't look lifted in the back anymore...which makes it difficult to go trail exploring while you're just out driving around.

If you go Rusty's, which I wouldn't, at least go with the new spring pack. I would go Rough Country, for the 3" full spring pack kit it's $499...but join NAXJA and it will benefit you when purchasing from RC, not to mention all of the great help, knowledge, and friends you will gain on here.

Of course, if you don't care about the eventually sagging of the springs and you don't wheel much...then just get the AAL's to save a few bucks.

Ive had good experience with my Rusty's 3" AAL kit, but if I could do it again I would go full spring pack. It's not sagging, but I worry that someday it will.

No complaints with the product but most have had bad luck with his shipping and customer support...

I run the 8'' Long Arm and it blows. Never again. It's like buying a lift kit from Walmart. The coils are so darn stiff they don't flex. All I gained was height on it. My Rusty's steering just took a poop on me too. If you don't beat on it to much, the stuff will last, but for me, nothing but issues...

BruceB83 said:
Do a search and you will find alot of threads comparing lift kits.

If you go Rusty's, which I wouldn't, at least go with the new spring pack. I would go Rough Country, for the 3" full spring pack kit it's $499...but join NAXJA and it will benefit you when purchasing from RC, not to mention all of the great help, knowledge, and friends you will gain on here.

Of course, if you don't care about the eventually sagging of the springs and you don't wheel much...then just get the AAL's to save a few bucks.

I have ran both Rusty's and Rough Country and I can honestly say that the RC kits are just as good, if not better, then Rusty's stuff. One thing that RC has above most companies is their customer support. Naxja member GRIMUS99XJ is their in house sales/service guy, and he is absolutly hands down, the best customer serviice guy I have ever delt with. I am not knocking Rusty as a person, b/c I have met him and he is a hell of a nice guy, but some of his products lack and their service and shipping sucks big greasey camel ballz. As far as shocks, many shocks come out of the same factories and they just throw in different stickers with them. You do get what you pay for on shocks. My $.02

i have rustys 3" lift with full leaf packs and am happy with it.

what ever 3" lift you go with, also get an adjustable track bar.

So far the only thing from my 6.5" lift is that the tracbar wasn't so great. I might like to have a softer spring up front tho... Make sure you get spring packs - well worth it.

His coils and springs are some of the best you can buy. The 3 inch kit isn't as complete as the RC one, but still a great buy. I haven't had a single problem with it. It netted almost 4 inches as well.

I’ve had the 3” HD spring pack kit (rear packs, coils and shocks) on a ‘94 for a year now. Still netting around 4” all around even with a ton of crap constantly in it, ready to go somewhere on short notice. It rides rough empty but with a full tank and enough gear to go surf fishing for a weekend it softens it up some. I wouldn’t recommend the HD option for a DD unless you like that kind of ride. For me it’s perfect and had no issues at all. Didn’t deal with customer service as everything came as expected.

I got the 4.5" full spring pack kit and the leafs got me 5.5" and the coils got me 3.5" so I put in 5.5" RE coils and drop brackets and left the leafs and it is still sitting at 5.5". of the kit I only have the track bar and leafs left. The track be is being replaced when I get the time to fab my new one up. I should have gone with RE in the first place.

Another thing, just don't buy the Rusty's trac-bar. It could kill you dead. Do some searching on here about trac-bars.

BruceB83 said:
Another thing, just don't buy the Rusty's trac-bar. It could kill you dead. Do some searching on here about trac-bars.

not one single problem with my rustys trackbar after 7 years.

but, if i buy a new one, i would go with jks

rustys track bar is no more than a stock track bar with an adjustable end. i believe his site show 3 different ends that have been used.

how many people have died from his trackbar?

is the RC trackbar any better?

89xj said:
not one single problem with my rustys trackbar after 7 years.

but, if i buy a new one, i would go with jks

rustys track bar is no more than a stock track bar with an adjustable end. i believe his site show 3 different ends that have been used.

how many people have died from his trackbar?

is the RC trackbar any better?

172 people have died directly from the Rusty's trac-bar.

ARE YOU SERIOUS...I WAS KIDDING...BEING FUNNY! I was just telling him to stay away from it. I also never said the RC trackbar was better. If you can quote me saying that, I will buy you a 6 pack next year in Moab.

Exactly, go with JKS or RE.

the only prob i have encountered with my rusty's 3''aal is it sagged in the back corrected by extra xj leaves purchased for 20$. I started with a JKS trakbar though and it is SOLID

Last edited:
Back