• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Inner Frame Lip

Ty2003K

NAXJA Forum User
The "frame" on the XJ in front of the center crossmember has an inner lip that sticks out on the inner side of it. To me it looks like this was an extra layer of material that was added and pinched, spot welded together. I was wondering if anyone has cut the extra material that sticks out even at the inner frame rail and just welded the two peices back together?

If so any promblems that occured in the process, or if this is just a bad idea.

you can just beat it flat but you will half to cut some relief points so that the entire thing will sit flat. But you might want to weld it back to one soled piece after you beat it flat, just to be safe.

I cut mine off when I plated that area with 3/16" plate. It created a fairly large gap in some spots where I cut it, but since I was doing rosette welds all over and attaching everything to the new 3/16" plate it didn't matter. I wouldn't cut it if you're not plating the frame. Why would you want to?

The only reason I want to cut it is so I can make a new crossmember that can be tucked up into the frame rails.

I didnt plan on directly plating the frame rails but I did want to add more crossmember support to that area by basically sandwitching the frame.

I wouldn't cut it.....no way. That is a structural part of the frame, and we need to maintain all the strength we can. If a section of it is in your way, definitely just fold it over.

Mine was in the way of where I wanted to mount my cross member so I had to cut it, fold it over ...
standard.jpg

...then I added some 3X3X.25" stock...
standard.jpg

Thanks Jes thats exactly what I was looking at doing. Now my plan was to put angle on the frame exactly like you have done there but have the angle welded to a new crossmember. Then I would bolt the new crossmemer to the frame using the angle with the two factory bolts through the bottom of the frame and three new bolts horizontally through the frame rails with another backing plate on the outside.

From my calculations this would be plenty strong for a crossmember support with integrated long arm mounts. However I would like to know what you and others think about it and its strength.

Thanks

Back