• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

29" SSRs or Trxus STS

xjh3

NAXJA Forum User
I am new to this so let me no if I messed up. I've searched but have come up with more questions.

I will be going to college next year and will be spending the vast majority of my time on the road where rain and snow performance are important. I want to keep height around 29" to not affect my mpg. So instead I want something a little wider than my current cheapo national 235s. For a lot of highway driving, should I go with the 29x11.50 SSRs on new 15x8s or the 29x10.50 STSs on my current Cragar 15x7s. The wider the better without too much rubbing. I have a 2" BB. I can't seem to find anyone else who makes a wide all terrain type tire that is 29".

Any pics of either of these setups would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

I've never used either of those tires, but for what it's worth, I run 31x10.5 TrXus M/Ts on a two inch budget boost with stock gearing (3.07), and get just about the same mpg as when I had my 225s. Just a thought.

Welcome to the NAXJA forums!

BFG's 325/60R15 is another option, though it measures out at 30.3" tall is its 13" wide. all this is mounted on a 15x10 rim. needless to say these tires look like a box and are killer on veihcles with little lift.

If you are concerned about rain and snow performace narrower is better, I would recommend the 30x9.50r15 Pro Comp A/T's, they are sever weather rated, 50K mile rated and will probably take you further offroad than the STS will. I have a lot of customers happily running that tire some of them on their third set and still buying them. I have one customer that drive a diesel Super Duty and he had 63K on his last set and they were still looking healthy.
J

Thanks for the responses! I can tell this website is going to be very useful in the coming years...

I know that skinny will probably perform better on snow and stuff, but I want something wide that can still be ok in the snow. Thats why I wondered about the SSR, I've seen on other sites people who said they handled well in snow.

What do the TrXus' measure on a 15x7 wheel? will they look stupid on BB with fenders on? Probably not going to do too much wheeling as I need it too last, I just want it to look cool and be able to go through some stuff when I feel like it.

My 2 cents:

I've had a set of 29x10.5x15 Trxus STSs for about 2 years now and they've been effing phenomenal in the snow and in the rain. (mud is another matter entirely.) Even though they're wider they pull me through the snow like I'm on tank treads and they seem to be wearing like iron thus far.

At stock height you will get some LCA rub at full lock and some wheel well buzz from the back if you're fully loaded and hitting pot holes. Adjusting the steering a bit and putting in some bump-stops cures both of those though.

Two other pluses:
They're pretty cheap at $95 each.
They always get curious looks. :D

BTW: On a 9" wide wheel the Trxus are almost exactly 29". A 7" wheel would obviously be a little taller, but I'm not sure by how much.

Last edited:
I like either of your options, however I would swing towards the SSR's because I am secretly in love with them. I hated STS's until I took a ride in my buddies sand only Ranger, and those sts's ride smooth as silk, and they have a nice hum to them when you get up around 50. Good choices.

Back