• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best way to bombproof on 30" tires?

Why the hell would you want put 44s/lockers/chromos/CTMs in a rig with 30" tires when the 30 with some ABS shafts will probabaly never ever break and the 8.25 will be fine as well on 30s? even with lockers?

Here is what you do:
lock the front and find a 8.8 with LSD since itll be cheaper than locking the rear and stronger, just weld the tubes and get a HD cover .
swap in ABS shafts up front with new spicer 760 U joints and use some full circle clips.
call it done.

please dont build an XJ on waggy 44s/chromos/ctms/ lockers just to run 30" A/T tires. I think it would offend many people.

sort of second this, I run abs stub shafts and tacked caps on locked 35's & I hammer the jeep hard. A 29spline 8.25 is a pretty strong axle as well, you would have to drop it off a ledge at full throttle bouncing to break it on 30's.

Why does everyone keep saying abs shafts? I thought the 95'+ had the same size u-joint/axle shaft size as the abs ones?

I ran the 29sp 8.25 locked on 32's, then 35's for years with stock shafts. I only upgraded for peace of mind. Put an auto-locker in the rear and call it a day. KJ or explorer disc brake swap if you want better brakes.

In the front, just grind your axles for 760x joints and full circlips. Brembo brake pads and powerslot rotors for me work awesome, even on 35's. Currie steering with OTK tie rod flip is a great bet for steering, even better with the Savvy aluminum tie rod. Or do all the WJ stuff if you wanna get serious about it. I honestly wouldn't lock the front. I got through all kinds of tough obstacles with just a locked rear and 32s. Great for the street also.

Why does everyone keep saying abs shafts? I thought the 95'+ had the same size u-joint/axle shaft size as the abs ones?

Have you ever seen the ears/yokes on the ABS shafts? The 95/96+ have 760 joints, but very small ears/yokes compared to the ABS shafts. the ABS shafts are pretty masssive.

All this debate over 30 inch tires? Seriously?
My only concern Is the thought of running the rubicon on 30's.

Run what you got and be happy. The set up will be just fine. As for the rubicon, i suggest bigger tires.

Have you ever seen the ears/yokes on the ABS shafts? The 95/96+ have 760 joints, but very small ears/yokes compared to the ABS shafts. the ABS shafts are pretty masssive.

Nope just read a lot about the abs being the same as the 95'+ shafts but its good to know that now, I didn't even know about that. For a pic for clarification?

Yes, but if you are really trying to bombproof to the point of not carrying spares, an argument can be made for not using 20-25 year old junkyard parts. New, high quality parts like alloy axle shafts and unit bearings and ball joints give you confidence that your bombproof axle is not already nearly worn out.

well yah I never said don't go ahead and order chromos. if its in the budget then just Order em. Just a cheap strong option was the ABS shafts. I dont know his budget. there is the oppurtunbity cost of spending 600$ on chromos instead of 100$ on ABS shafts, new joints, and full circle clips, that frees up 500$ for some lunchbox lockers...

Ya I agree with the full case locker. Although after a few runs on a full case locker, chromos , trussed, sleeved, gusseted, WJ knuckles, etc, I grenaded the R&P. nothing else was close to breaking. the full case locker is still brand new and for sale (grizzly) . I agree.
I also run 36 irks on beadlocks. not 33s . that makes a big difference.

Best way to not break a D30 is to not lock it at all. Leave it open and throw an auto locker in the rear, which is much stronger.

First run after I put an ARB in my D30 (on 32's), I broke a few caps on both u-joints. Luckily I had RCV's for trail spares...

Just stay off the skinny pedal... im running 33s on a bone stock 30 with a Spartan ran the con no problem its really in the driver.if your a heave footed wheeler then ya build the heck out of it. But if you plan on just running 30 in tires for awhile id put the money building the rest of the jeep, (stiffeners,uca,lca,trackbar ect) untell your ready to go bigger.

Back